Follow

Sorry to say, but this site has been so depressing for a few days. I thought I'd ask an average, everyday question....to make us all feel a little more normal today.

I made Eggplant Lasagna, and my BIL and SIL are coming for dinner. They leave for Cali tomorrow to see their beautiful grand daughter.

Sorry, sometimes we just need some REGULAR conversation.......or at least THIS caregiver does.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Made chicken mozzarella pasta, recipe on the food net work. Was rather simple and really good. If anyone is interested.
Left overs tonight

Nice Golden!

Pam, I have upper back issues, , at least when I have a bad back spell sitting makes it better, static , I feel so bad , cuz you just can't get comfortable, no matter what you do
(1)

Thanks cw. The cabbage and carrot were ok shredded together, (like your dice I guess) but the apple made it too mushy. The recipe suggested cutting the apple into "matchstick" size. I was trying to save myself some work, but if I want apple in it I'll have to hand cut it. I do have a slicer blade - it's on the the reverse side of my grater blade. For R and I, I make fairly large amounts and it gets eaten. I working at incorporating more veggies in our meals.

Alva - recipe please for infamous Thai chicken!!! Gut bugs are involved in all kinds of things in our bodies and we need to feed them properly. I'm sure they like Thai chicken!!!

Geaton - that's very interesting!!!

Pam - another wonderful tea and wearing fascinators!!! So glad you found a home for the china. Hope the sciatica goes away and stays away!

rogerwy - always good!

llama - hope you never get the sciatica back!!!

Sunday I finally cooked that large beef roast I had in the freezer and it turned out well. Served it with mashed potatoes and gravy, roasted carrots and onions, and Yorkshire puddings. You can buy them frozen now which makes life a lot easier!!!
(0)

PamZ: Good for you and hope that you're recovering well from the sciatica. I had one round of that and don't want another ever!
(2)

Spaghetti. Mom's favorite. Garlic bread of course also.
(4)

TEA!! We girls went for tea again,, and we all brought the dessert leftovers and scones home, after the soup .salad, and sammies we were stuffed!! We even wear fascinators!. And after looking at my MILs packed up china in my sunroom for years.. the lady who owns the tea house was happy to take it!! Why did I not offer it before? My DD and I finally thought "who would use this?" No one wants fancy china anymore. So I called her and offered it free, or else it was going to be donated. I am still sitting on some of my parents stuff! And I have a baby shower here in 2 weeks, so I am getting my butt in gear. Slowly, as I am recovering from my first bout of sciatica..
(5)

Alva, I saw a show on PBS a few years ago where researchers gave mice with Parkinsons symptoms fecal transplants and their symptoms went away. It was astonishing. I will look up the gut genome show on Netflix. Do you know the name?
(1)

Infamous Alva? Is it really that bad 🤣
(1)

Quite the fascinating program on Netflix under documentaries about our GUT genomes. Goofy cartoonish little microbes running around, but the research and the individual stories quite interests.
For tonight? My infamous Thai Basil Chicken again.
(3)

I do Golden! When I'm making slaw for a crowd I'll get out the big food processor with the slicing blade for the cabbage and the grating blade for the carrots. When I'm making it for just me I get out my mini food chopper and just chop everything together into a fine dice, it's not traditional but it tastes just as good and it's nostalgic for me because my grandmother (who was toothless) used to grate her cabbage that way.
(4)

Thinking of trying cabbage fritters made with Panko bread crumbs for Sunday morning breakfast.
I have never made fritters!
Must wait until dH get up.
Listening to the mockingbird outside our window.
A mockingbird will mimic annoying construction sounds sometimes.
(3)

nacy - sure 😉

cw - sounds good!

Talking about making lemon into lemonade, I experimented by using my food processor to make coleslaw. It might have been ok with just the carrots and cabbage, but I decided to add an apple as well. Just after processing it was OK but shortly it became very mushy and wet. Not nice for a salad!!!

Hmmm! What to do with this large bowl of shredded goodies?

Light bulb moment!!! 💡 I'll make fritters! So I tossed in some almond flour, a couple of eggs, and a sprinkling of cornstarch and mixed. The first two were still too wet, so more dry stuff went in and they were fine after that. In fact they were good with that tangy sweet apple taste added to the cabbage and carrot. R ate them happily with sour cream. I like mine plain so I can taste the veggies/fruit.

Question: Does anyone here use a food processor to make coleslaw? Wondering if I can shred the cabbage and carrots with it and then just do the apple by hand. Its a nice addition to slaw.
(1)

I cranked the temperature up to 450°F and put it in speed convection mode while the chicken rested, the onions got a little burnt but the crispy potatoes make up for it 🤤
(5)

Hot dogs, TGIF potato skins. 😂 I did put them in the air fryer so that makes them healthy, right?
(4)

Can you stick the veggies in the microwave, maybe finish the cooking
(1)

I stuck a chicken and some veggies (potatoes, carrot, onions) in my little oven, the chicken is done but the veggies are still hard. Do I eat the chicken or wait?
(1)

Golden,
It never occurred to me! I will try it. Thanks!
(1)

Artist,

Sounds delicious!
(0)

Snowed in CO last night, so we made stew. Husband cooks the meat because I don't know how and left to me I'd leave it out. Then after hours of simmering I put the veggies in with the meat in an order that assures they will not be over cooked. He would over cook them. Chives and onions from the garden. Tonight we will have the left over stew because it is even colder outside now. I might make some biscuits to go with it if I stop painting in time.
(4)

Anxiety,

Some like it hot! 🥵 Sounds like your husband likes it very hot. I love spicy food. My husband is a wuss when it comes to heat.

Thanks, Golden.

I love cabbage but I have never cooked fritters. Will have to try that sometime.

My husband and I cook together well. My only complaint is that I am faster than he is. He takes his sweet time prepping. I can run circles around him by the time he is done.
(2)

nacy - hide them for sure!!!

send - you could cook pasta ahead of time (when that demon isn't around) and freeze it for later use.

Cabbage fritters again tonight
(3)

Enjoying cooking with my dH in the past. We are a team, usually.

Hoping the kitchen glitches, criticism, argumentative behaviors pass by soon.
His and mine!
It is not like me to ever throw away food, even if it's not the best tasting.

Putting pasta on the 'do not cook' list for awhile for when I can build up more patience.
(2)

Husband has been trying to cook once a week the last month. One meal, was suppose to be a pinch of red pepper flakes, he put in a teaspoon, yesterday he decided to make beef stew, he put in 1 tablespoons of black pepper.

And he doesn't even like hot foods, so no clue what he is thinking. 😆

If he cooks again I think I'm going to hide all the peppery spice's
(3)

Need - A very happy 46th Wedding Anniversary to you and DH 🎈🎊🍷

send - I'm so sorry. Sounds like a mess.
(3)

Sorry that dinner was ruined, Send.

Pasta is one of those things that can’t be salvaged if it doesn’t cook properly.
(2)

Dinner went into the trash before it was done.
The little kitchen demon turned the heat way down on the pasta,
and after waiting, the timer went off. Not done, and stuck together.

This is an ongoing issue, happens way too many times, so I have to try and save the pasta-it never cooks right or tastes right.

It's going to cost him.

Upset now.
(4)

Need: You're quite welcome.
(1)

Thanks, Llama 😊
(1)

Need: Happy 46th Wedding Anniversary!
(3)

Ali,

Buy fresh fish. If you do get frozen allow it to defrost in the fridge before cooking it.

I didn’t cook tonight. We ordered takeout, grilled salmon and a salad for our dinner. My husband picked it up on his way home from work.

Our anniversary is coming up and we are going out to dinner tomorrow night to celebrate 46 years together.
(3)

cd - meatballs and spaghetti is always good. You have quite a load at home with your kids and your mother.

pam - I haven't tried the smoked beef ones but I like all the ones I have tried. We must get a grill. Only gas grills/bbqs allowed here.

eva -I've never done fresh tuna though I have eaten it seared. Must try it. How do you prepare it?

Tonight was pan fried fresh salmon, tartar sauce, garlic herbed roasted baby potatoes, peas, wilted cucumber salad.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter