1 large onion, chopped
1 large head cabbage, chopped
3 medium potatoes
2 lbs. Fordhook lima beans
juice from 4 cans of beets
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sour salt (can be found on Amazon)
10 chicken bullion cubes
Cook until cabbage is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
Add 2 lbs. Fordhook lima beans,
4 cans beets.
Cook 15 minutes
Add cubed potatoes.
Cook until potatoes are done.

Serve with sour cream stir in & Russian dark bread.

This makes a large amount - enough for family celebrations and enough for carry out
(3)

NeedHelpWithMom: Oh, my DH's grandmom was a great cook She made HUGE amounts of food and expected you to eat it all! I am going to post the Red Beet Soup recipe in a bit.
(1)

Real,

Gee, gloves would come in handy then.
(0)

Thanks, Golden

Didn’t realize that they bled.
(1)

nhwm - beets vare messy as they bleed colour when you peel or cut them in any way. The canned ones are already peeled.
(1)

Fresh beets, preferably with the greens so I can saute them for a lovely, delicious green treat.

NHWM, they bleed when you cut them. Easily cleaned up, you do want to wear gloves to save your nails though.
(2)

How are beets messy? Keep reading that.
(0)

Canned (or fresh) beets can be made into Harvard Beets which is beets in a sweet and sour cornstarch-thickened sauce. I really like them. Fresh beets are the best to me - boiled or roasted. messy but great.

Bridger - hope you hubs is OK.
(3)

Bridger,

How is your husband? Has he lost his sense of taste or smell? I hope not.
(0)

I made a pot of chicken soup for my husband. It turned okay.
(2)

Okay, so it looks like I haven’t given beets a fair chance.

I suppose that I was just being a picky kid not wanting to eat them.

It also looks like the canned ones are fine to try. I like other pickled veggies, especially okra and green beans. Those are yummy.
(0)

NHWM, I am sort of like CWillie.. I think it may be a german recipe.or Amish, but my family has always made them. I hard boil eggs, peel them and cover them with canned beets, some vinegar ( and some add some sugar) and your pickling spices. Or cheat and add those "pickled beets in a jar" from the grocery. THey keep in the fridge for week or so. I love beets, I can eat those for lunch!
(1)

Late lunch/early dinner at a cafe in Baton Rouge. Whatever looks good on menu. Raining here but not in the hurricane path.

Ordered a glass of wine! 🍷

Talk later...enjoy your dinner everyone. Thanks
(2)

Dinner:
Another bowl Beet soup, salad. noooo dessert.
(0)

Update: Beet Soup
Beet soup was great. Time consuming but worth it. It took about an hour with prep work and simmering the soup. I used the peeled, cut and cooked organic beets from Costco's which was fine. The soup was tasty and filling. Family liked it very much. I added a dollop of sour cream to mine. I would make it again. I usually create my own soups but this one was a good recipe and first time I made beet soup. I like canned beets too. I buy fresh beets occasionally but do not like the mess and it is time consuming.
(0)

Really like canned beets, Julienne over salads.
(2)

I always buy canned beets when I'm in the mood for beets, I can't be bothered cooking raw beets when the canned ones are just as good or better, especially if you get the tiny whole beets. I use those cans to make my pickled beets too, just put the beets into a jar and add your favourite pickling liquid (I like mine sweet) then put in the fridge for a week or so.
(3)

Classic Borscht Soup (Beet Soup) recipe by Natasha Kitchen. Beet soup recipe looks so good. I just love beets. I buy organic cooked beets at Costco's. It comes in a 4 pack and ready to eat. I will try it in beet soup and add all the juice. Recipe by Natasha Kitchen 5star rating. Ingredients look great and can't wait to try it. Healthy and nutritious the added beans add good amount protein.
(1)

Are you able to post the recipe for the beet soup? I'm always looking for interesting things to try. That would really be new and different.
(0)

Llama,

Sounds interesting. I bet it’s a beautiful color too!

Grandmothers are wonderful cooks!
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom: I use canned red beets because of the beet juice required. It's really good because the base of the soup is fresh white pork.
(1)

Llama,

I love all kinds of soup. I have only tried roasted beets. They were good. I remember seeing canned beets served a lot when I was younger and for some reason they didn’t appeal to me.

The soup sounds interesting. Is it made with fresh beets?
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom: My DH's maternal grandmother used to make Red Beet Soup and now I do, especially for special occasions.
(1)

Pam,

I have never had pickled eggs or beets. I can’t imagine what they taste like. How long do they last? Do you store them in the fridge? I like pickled okra and green beans. I have never done any pickling but I love buying items from my farmers market.

I eat eggs. I ate roasted beets for the first time in a restaurant recently and liked them. I used to shy away from beets. I wouldn’t touch canned beets. They look gross! LOL Maybe I haven’t had them prepared correctly.

I won’t eat canned cranberry sauce. Yuck! I love homemade cranberry relish. I haven’t made it but I enjoy eating it. I love the color of cranberries and beets.

Nature has such beautiful colors! My grandpa grew eggplant and the purple color is lovely.

Aren’t beets loaded with vitamins? I eat tons of veggies and vegetable soup is one of my favorite soups to make. Do you make onion soup? I love that too. I recently made potato soup, another good one.
(0)

Leftovers. I made a pork loin sandwich.

I almost lost my appetite because I love spicy brown mustard on my sandwiches. I accidentally grabbed chocolate syrup and poured it on my last brioche roll. Had to start over with whole grain bread. Oh well...

The bottles look similar and were next to each other in my fridge.
(3)

Bridger: Good for you. I enjoy using my mind the most - got to keep it lucid.
(1)

I wanted plain old veg soup, but with a twist.. So I winged it! Added some Rotel and a potatoe,, its wonderful and I'll probably never be able to recreate it.. LOL The joys of just "doing it". Used some frozen veg ( not the dreaded Hanover brand.. may never buy that again!) I also made a bunch of "pickled eggs and beets",, I can eat that for lunch or dinner!
(3)

Llama, I’m 65. I go about 10 days on my 4 hr schedule then I crash for a day. I think spending a good bit of time outside walking ups my energy. And if I’m in the kitchen I have more energy. If I was cleaning all the time, I’d have to have a nap.
(2)

Bridger: Wow! I admire you greatly. I wish I could be like you, but at about to turn 74 in January, I need my sleep. Today I am struggling because of drinking iced tea way too late so zero sleep last night.
(1)

Llama, I only sleep about 4 hrs. Always busy.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter