Follow
Read More
KFC tonight for dinner.
(0)

tonight for me is leftover Chicken pot pie. Followed an awesome recipe from Cook's Country magazine (it's also on You Tube) and it turned out looking just like the photo! I made an extra and froze it for later.
Dessert will be a bit of Culvers Frozen Custard.
I do have a breakfast bread in the fridge.. Harvest Apple Challah. I will toss it in the oven tomorrow morning and bring it up the street for Daughter, SIL and grandkids
(3)

I didn't feel like cooking tonight... So pizza!
I used to like cooking but it is getting stressful to think about what to do to make everyone happy.
(3)

Trying to calm my stomach...
My dogs always had the best vet care. So when they had upset tummies for several days, they had boiled chicken and rice.

Like chicken soup without the soup, I had a small portion of chicken and rice.

Next. I will be trying red miso soup.
(2)

Tonight that leftover swiss steak and those roast veggies are morphing into a hearty stew (with some added onions and mushrooms), if there is plenty left it may turn into beef and barley soup next.
(3)

Hi "earlybird,"

I couldn't help but comment on your breakfast as it reminded me of my childhood when my mom used to take slices of bread (she may have toasted the bread first - I can't remember :( ) with slices of cheese on it and sprinkled it with sugar then baking in the oven for a couple of minutes until both the cheese and sugar were warmed. I've been thinking about it a lot lately and your post brought back those memories of years gone by. I've been wanting to ask her about it too. The blueberry coffee would have gone good with it if they had such a thing back then. Your "splash of cream" was cute and gave me a chuckle! :)
(1)

Fresh tomato from our local farm on toast with a slice of cheese and a sprinkle of oregano. Blueberry coffee with a splash of light cream. Idea from a poster who had tomato on toast.
(3)

Grilled cheese sandwiches, crinkle cut fries and a garden salad.
(5)

Tuna and noodle casserole, topped with French's Crispy Fried Onions, and corn bread. 🌽🍞
(4)

Bridger,

Oooh, those trips sound fantastic!
(0)

NHWM, I watch America’s Test Kitchen. My favorite vacations are resorts with 4 or 5 star chefs that have workshops. I usually go twice a year. My husband golfs and I attend cooking classes. I’ve been to The Greenbrier many times, Hot Springs resort in VA, Red Door (skinny cooking) fat farm in Texas. Going The Essex in Vermont in late October. They’re knowing for baking classes. Both of my grandmothers were good southern country cooks. My mom is pretty good too. My husband and two sons are thinner and love to eat. So I cook a LOT.
(2)

Bridger,

My friend’s mom makes a killer German Chocolate cake. One day I was at my friend’s house and her mom was eating a banana with the German chocolate icing smeared on it.

I saw her banana and asked her what was she eating. I like peanut butter on a banana but I would have never thought of putting icing on it.

She said it was super yummy. She said sometimes she just makes the icing to eat with her bananas.

My husband gets creative blending different flavors. I like some combinations of different things but certain things I am an absolute purist!
(1)

Bridger,

How wonderful for your family! Not only is red velvet cake delicious, it’s such a pretty cake. I love the icing!

Of course taste is most important but I feel that we do use all of our senses when we enjoy a something yummy to eat. Smelling a cake baking and seeing a beautiful cake brings as much joy as eating it.

Just like hearing the sizzle of something when it hits a hot pan. Or the perfect texture of a dish. Cooking is an art that includes science.

My favorite show on cooking is America’s Test Kitchen because we can learn something. I get bored with the cooking ‘contest’ shows. They certainly aren’t realistic. I realize they are designed for entertainment rather than actual cooking lessons. I do feel Martha Stewart does an excellent job at teaching cooking and I adored Julia!

Do you have a favorite chef or cooking instructor? My mom, grandmother and aunts were incredible cooks. It seems there are great cooks on this forum too. I have always enjoyed cooking.
(0)

NHWM. I make Red Velvet all the time. My husband, both sons and my dad like it. I have the original Waldorf Astoria cooked icing recipe. I usually make it for Christmas. The rest of the time I use an easy cream cheese frosting. My sons like it best.
(1)

Real, I PM’d the recipe to you. Hope you enjoy.
(0)

Bridger sounds yummy. Can you share the amish recipe?
(2)

Bridger,

One of my favorite cakes! Also love red velvet.
(2)

Bridger I haven't had a German chocolate cake since my mom made it, so decades ago. Mmmmm!
(1)

Tonight I'm having swiss steak to go with the veggies from yesterday, my mouth is watering!
(3)

Roasted a whole chicken, stuffing, Amish recipe cauliflower and broccoli salad, sliced tomatoes, turnips. Baked a scratch German chocolate cake with coconut pecan frosting. Took my parents a piece of cake to go with their dinner. My dad says their desserts aren’t as good as I bake.
(1)

Pray for my 'Bama family. NeedHelp said Hurricane Sally changed paths. Thank you, NeedHelpWithMom.💞
(5)

Have had delicious meals out in restaurants!

Have heard on the news that Sally’s direction changed which is great for New Orleans but sad for Alabama. Heading back home tomorrow.
(4)

Bridger, I would love to be able to harvest some fresh green beans and make a garlic green bean dish and eat it all. Sounds so delicious.
(3)

Slow roasted roast beef, garlic parsley gravy, smashed golden potatoes and broccoli salad (broccoli, white and purple onions, dried cranberries, diced apple, pumpkin seeds, crumbled bacon tossed with a creamy red wine dressing, all homemade from scratch). Mmmgood!
(2)

cw - never thought of roasting rutabaga but I can see it would work. Have to get some next grocery order and try it.

bridger - have fun and stay safe

need - glad you are out of the way of the hurricane.
(2)

I’m not cooking! Have evacuated Hurricane Sally. We have restaurant reservations.
(8)

Going to a Sunday School potluck. I made apple dumplings and a big pot of green beans. I’m sure there will be lots of fried chicken (everyone has chickens the right size to kill) and plenty of vegetables fresh from the garden. Got my green beans from my MIL’s garden this am.
(1)

I popped a big pan of veggies in my little toaster oven - carrots, rutabaga, onions, celery, a couple of potatoes and some beans and peppers from my garden. The problem is I was doing yard work all afternoon and I'm starving and roasted veggies take soooo long to cook. Maybe some cheese and crackers as an appetizer?
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom: You're welcome.
(0)

Roast, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions, homemade bread, sour cream pound cake and coffee.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter