Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Sorry about the salt, folks. I have a warped sense of humor, and sometimes overkill seems the most enjoyable way to respond.
(4)

@ "Gershun" and "Sendhelp" - thank you for my after dinner entertainment!!

We had steakhouse flavored pork tenderloin, sauteed zucchini seasoned with fresh ground peppercorns and Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning (salt-free!) and a Mexican four cheese shredded blend on top, fresh greens with sliced black olives, roma tomatoes and "mozzarella melt" shredded cheese - it's softer than regular and Kraft makes it, open-faced cornbread-like muffin dipped in "extra light taste" olive oil mixed with oregano leaves and red pepper flakes, applesauce sprinkled with cinnamon, and a glass of Merlot. For dessert we had homemade strawberry shortcake (I make the strawberry part by slicing the strawberries adding one packet of Stevia, mashing them and then I add heavy whipping cream and stir together) a little extra creamy whipping cream on top sprinkled with sliced almonds.
(3)

😁😁😁😁
(3)

I just ate a teriyaki chicken bowl with rice. Premade. Just heated it up in the microwave. Not bad.

I added......wait for it.....SALT!!😂
(5)

You are right Gershun. Lol.
So many are feeling as-salted!

Tonight for dinner, we baked some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in our Toaster oven on the turbo setting. An easy fix, and a good flavor! They browned just right, 45 minutes.
It did take the two of us, which is why I always say "We".

What did you have for dinner? 🥝🍓🍉🥕🥗🥑🥑🥑🍅🍍🍐🍊🍋🍒🍇🍈🍌🍏🍎🧡💛💙💜💚❣️
(3)

I know much more about salt now than I ever wanted to.

Just saying..............:P
(3)

There’s been so much interest in salt, that I followed instructions and looked it up myself. Google only showed me the three rock salt mines in central Europe to which the Romans used to send naughty slaves. They seem to be largely tourist attractions now. One has a hotel in it, like the ice hotels in glaciers. The Kansas salt mine also seems to be a tourist thing now, with a little railway like a ghost train. The UK still has a functioning mine in Cheshire, providing coarse de-icing road salt.

Sea salt is very cheap to make by evaporation, if you have hot dry weather and flat land next to the sea (like down the road from here). Before pumps came along, it used to be captured behind barriers at highest tide. Sea water does contain trace elements and minerals, sometimes nasty ones like lead if the sea is polluted. DH spent some time thinking how to get the trace elements out of sea water (eg by differential distillation), and came to the conclusion that it would be difficult, uneconomic and pointless – there is no market for what you could extract, and no other reason to do it. The evaporated salt sometimes contains mud if it is being scraped off mud flats in the old way, and this is liquified to let the impurities settle out.

DH moved on to working out whether salt could be synthesised from sodium and chlorine chemicals. Conclusion – tricky and very expensive. Then found on Wikipedia that, conversely, almost any manufacturing process that requires sodium or chlorine obtains it by breaking down sodium chloride. It says “sodium chloride is available so cheaply that it need never be synthesised’.

Wikipedia says 280 million tons of salt was used in 2017 (latest figure), with China the main producer. The USA produced 43 million tons, virtually all by evaporation. If harvesting sea water is not convenient, saline lakes and remnant salt pans can also provide the raw material, but these will contain different trace elements and minerals.

I have been unable to find any confirmation that ‘Anticaking ingredients strip nutrients from table salt’. Or that ‘sea salt has less sodium’ ‘because the granules are bigger’. Granule size is usually the result of processing options.

I’ve had salt conversations before, probably because it’s a local industry. One with MIL who used a herbal flavored salt, and insisted that it wasn’t ‘real’ salt so she could use lots in spite of what her doctor instructed. Another was with a migrant woman who simply refused to believe that cheap supermarket table salt could possibly be sea salt.

I have no problems with people who like to pay more for fancy salt. I do laugh about some of the fads. ‘Almond milk’ which contains less than 4% almonds. Super healthy quinoa that doesn’t seem to have made the South Americans healthier even though they use it all the time. My favorite one was a sign on a truck delivering bottled water, saying ‘Gluten Free’! I've learned to take many of these claims with (guess) a pinch of salt. However if anyone thinks they know more than this about salt, please post again. I’m hanging out for it. But I suspect this may be more than enough!
(2)

How is it that 2 small potatoes, a stick of celery, a small onion, a handful of diced peppers and a chunk of ham looks like a small meal until you chop it all together and roast it, after which it looks like enough to feed a small family 🤔
(3)

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
(1)

I live in Canada where salt and winter just naturally go together. When it comes to purity of salt I can't imagine anything more pristine than that extracted from deposits formed 400 million years ago under lake Huron, site of the biggest salt mine in the world.
(2)

I have been gone a while...Thought I came across the Joke/Humor thread for a bit....
Elaine1962...I agree with you about the little bit of salt and sugar once in a while. Even better if you pair them in a Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart!

When I was growing up there was 1 salt in the house...the Morton's..when it rains it pours...salt. We did not have a water softener and we did not salt our driveway in the winter. Oh, maybe once I saw Rock Salt when we were at a friends house and they made Ice Cream. What a treat that was!
(2)

😲😟💪
(2)

🤣🤣🤣
(2)

Salt does not a dinner make.
(2)

Well, arguing about salt? Interesting........🤔
(3)

Goodnight everyone.
My ten minutes are up.

Going to have a late dinner,
and 'add no salt'.
(3)

"There’s an email going around offering processed pork, gelatin, and salt in a can.

If you get this email, don’t open it. It’s spam."
(5)

"I had dinner with my mother in law the other night. Was gonna ask "would you pass the salt, please"

But instead my tongue twisted and I said
"You stupid cow. You've completely ruined my life."
(3)

"Why do fish live in salt water?"

"Because pepper makes them sneeze."
(0)

"What’s the opposite of Himalayan Salt?

Herastandin Pepper"
(3)

"I got knocked off my bike last night by a lunatic driving a salt lorry through deep snow. You complete idiotic moron I shouted

Through gritted teeth"
(2)

"what did the grain of salt say to the doctor?
Doc I think I tore NACL"
(1)

"Why does everyone add salt to their meals?
It’s sodium goooood"
(1)

"Why did the skeptic suffer from high blood pressure?
He was taking everything with a grain of salt."
(2)

"When life gives you lemons
Ask for salt and tequila".
(2)

"You have to take these modern homeopathic health fads with a pinch of salt.
Preferably Himalayan pink rock salt, due to its high mineral content and detoxifying effects."
(3)

Can we agree to disagree on the salt issue?
(6)

All kinds of salt.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/different-types-of-salt#pink-salt

And for general interest salt mines in Hutchinson Kansas

https://www.underkansas.org/tickets
(1)

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you MM. look it up for yourself, you obviously think you know everything, so go to work.
(2)

OK so what do you think table salt is made of? Tables? Our table salt is certainly sea salt. I just checked the package - sea salt, anti-caking agent 554, potassium iodide.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter