Follow
Read More
Yes, real, it is very flexible. Years ago I made it as a low carb dish and found out much later it had a name. Soy is good in it too,

Another simple ground meat dish which the kids used to love is ground meat browned, add a fair amount of frozen peas and a shot of cooking sherry. If need be sprinkle it with a little sugar to up the flavour. Use sesame oil and soy sauce in this one too. I served it on brown rice and it was always a hit. Can't claim this one. It came from an American Chinese cook book.
(1)

That sounds like a great place to start for crack slaw. Then you can modify for personal preference.

Thank you. I love getting new meal ideas. I think I will try this tonight.
(1)

Gosh, real. I make what suits me at the moment. Brown good amount of ground beef, with onions if you like, then add the coleslaw mix and stir well. Add a little moisture if it needs it, I added some sesame oil yesterday for flavour and salt and pepper of course and simmer till cabbage is cooked but still a bit firm. This is all according to what you prefer. Crushed red pepper would add a little heat or a taco seasoning mix. I didn't know there were a bunch of recipes. I will have to look for ideas.

The boiled dressing is vinegar (about a cup), oil ( 2/3 to 3/4 c - I just sloshed some in), some sugar or sweetener if you prefer - I go by taste here -about 1/2 c. Then you can add herbs like celery seeds. I had forgotten about poppy seeds - they are a good addition. A little lime juice would be great. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over a bowl full of cole slaw mix or shredded cabbage and whatever you like. Mix thoroughly and let sit overnight. It keeps for for days in the fridge.

Do you braise red cabbage? I love it with bacon, onions and caraway seeds. A little apple in there works well too. It is better the second day.
(2)

Okay Golden, you have to tell what crack slaw you make and what is the recipe for boiled dressing?!?

Just looked up crack slaw, 5 pages!

Sounds like something great to try, like spoon bread.
(1)

Shell: I adore balsamics! So yummy! Lucky you!💞
(2)

Send, I was actually thinking more on the line of getting any water, from wiping spills, that makes mold grow in products and it seems like it's such a good idea and safe enough. I have done it, that is why I say be careful.

Shell, nope, no oil, just vinegar and a quick searing of each side. You definitely need a no stick pan. Oil will change the texture of the cabbage.

I do a lot of dry frying and it works really well and cuts out a ton of calories.

I wonder what kind of BV your friend uses, I tried it and it was not pleasant, I would love to know and try it again. But maybe I am to hooked on lime for my acid in coleslaw. I use poppyseed and celery seed, definitely a tasty texture sensation with one bitter and one sweet.

Your quick pickling sounds yummy. I am thinking with fresh green beans and a bit of chili. Mmmm!

I love rice wine vinegar for salad dressings.

So simple and so nutritious to use any vinegar for preparing food. Really helps alkalize your system and relieves arthritis pain as the best benefit. Love my apple cider vinegar.
(1)

Golden, it is a fantastic museum. Our food and beverage museum is cool too. The WWII museum is excellent.

I was telling Shell about some of our hidden gems. If she ever comes to Nola I can be her tour guide! Born and raised here.

I love coleslaw too!
(2)

Crack slaw - Quick and easy and lots of leftovers.

I had a huge bag of cole slaw (shredded cabbage etc) in my order as there were no small ones. Half went into the crack slaw and I made boiled dressing for the rest which is in the fridge marinating. I haven't made that boiled dressing for years but I am a huge cole slaw fan. I hope my touchy gut tolerates it. I have cut down on coffee and my gut is much happier. Herbal teas are good.

need -that museum sounds very interesting!!!
(4)

Shell,

I will tell you about another one that most people don’t know about. It’s a hidden gem. The New Orleans Pharmacy Museum. America’s very first pharmacy was right here in New Orleans.

Most people walk right past this place everyday and don’t even realize it. It’s on Chartres Street. Incredible artifacts from the early 1800’s. It’s really cool.

I was eating lunch across the street from the museum and had some free time and decided to go walk around the museum.

There was a woman in there looking at the same exhibit that I was and she was in awe. She happened to be a pharmacist from San Diego, CA that was visiting our city.

She told me that the museum was the highlight of her trip. She was so excited to see the collection of early pharmaceutical products. it’s really interesting to see how people were treated in the 1800’s!

Upstairs they even have a doctor’s bag and a bed and an explanation of how babies were born at home by midwives.

Also, an exhibit on the first eyeglasses made. Another one on prohibition of alcohol and how it had been used to treat people for it’s medicinal purposes. All sorts of interesting history in early New Orleans.

Downstairs had exhibits on heroin use. Oh, how cocaine was in Coca-Cola, all kinds of early myths and folklore, etc. I love that museum!
(1)

Grilled pork chops with stuffing and carrots.

Isthisrealyreal,
It really was like Christmas finding that Balsamic vinegar. I would never use it in a cold slaw, but I do know some Chefs do. I have used Balsamic in making salad dressings and with lamb. And your right a little bit goes along way.

I will try it fried cabbage; however you just use BV and no EVOO? Yes, your instructions make sense:) I am going to try your other ideas. Wish I would have seen your pork chop idea! Oh well, I try it next time.

BV is good for a quick pickling with honey...can be a little on the sweet side. But good with something spicy!

Thank you so much for your ideas😜

NHWM,

I didn't know that New Orleans had a food museum. See this is just another reason why I need to go to New Orleans:)

The longer Balsamic Vinegar ages the more expensive it is!
(1)

Thanks Real!

It has a little pour out spout. Always careful not to contaminate
a n y t h i n g in our kitchen. And, I am wiping down bottles more often, especially drips down a bottle.

Even to the point of not putting one's hand inside tortilla chips packages, or putting fingers inside chocolate covered almonds
canisters, like eating directly out of them. We put them into individual serving dishes, not touching them at all.

Being careful.
(0)

No refrigeration required. You do always want to be careful to avoid contaminating the liquid in any way. If you do, refrigerate it to preserve it longer, however, you will want to use it quickly if contamination occurs.
(2)

Once opened, do you need/want to refrigerate the Balsamic Vinegar?
(1)

Shell,

We have a food museum in New Orleans that sells a large variety of balsamic vinegars in their gift shop. They have a tasting table where they can be sampled. My daughters and I had fun doing that.

Some vinegars are very expensive but the flavor is so concentrated that you don’t need very much.

The museum has a restaurant attached where delicious lunches are served. As you know, good cooking is really all about the quality of ingredients used.

The museum is Southern Food and Beverage Museum. They do cooking and cocktail demonstrations. They have fun exhibits that explain our history and culture in New Orleans.
(1)

cwille,

My German grandmother made a German potato salad that was delicious.
(1)

I make a german "hot slaw" with cabbage and vinegar but I would never have thought to use balsamic in a similar way, I'll have to give that a try next time.
(1)

Shell have you ever had cabbage fried in balsamic vinegar?

You take a whole head of purple cabbage and cut 1 inch pieces, so the entire circumference 1" thick, I hope that makes sense, then you put a out 3 tablespoons of vinegar in your pan and reduce it slightly, put the cabbage in and cook for a couple/few of minutes on each side. Replenish your vinegar as needed.

Serve with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and pork, I like bratwurst with this combo. But really any pork is nice.

You got Christmas in April finding that vinegar.

I use the vinegar with mustard and black pepper as a meat marinade. Delish for steak. I would it with some thyme and rosemary for lamb. I like it with olive oil and Italian seasonings for pork. You can also use it for salad dressings. It goes a long way so taste stuff frequently when you are using it raw. You can use it for so many things. It's amazing because you get to have a gourmet meal because of 1 humble ingredient.

I don't recommend this for your acid in coleslaw. 🤭

Oh, a tablespoon in a large pot of beef stew in yummy.

Enjoy and let us know how you enjoyed it.

Kinda silly how happy I am for you. You will have so much fun incorporating it into your menu.

Get creative and enjoy. I am thinking that you will be sticking some new bottles in the back of your pantry soon.
(2)

Llamalover,

That is great and yes the BV is still good. I never even knew he had it. It really is amazing!
(1)

Shell: That's amazing that the balsamic vinegar was still good, right?
(1)

Spaghetti and meatballs!

Isthisrealyreal, I found a bottle of 25 yr old Balsamic vinegar that has never been open. It was in the cupboard with my dad's other vinegars! He must of bought it for something...Now I just have to figure out what I should do with it. Maybe make a marinade for lamb...vinaigrette...any ideas? Maybe time to break out some cookbooks!
(3)

Chicken cacciatore, salad and fresh fruit for dessert.
(2)

Mystery freezer dish. Twice now I have wanted to get green chili out for supper. First time last week, ended up with skillet chicken pot pie. Yesterday, it was Swedish meatballs 😕, then found green chili and thawed it for supper. Mmmm

Tonight will have Swedish meatballs. Hopefully I have a potato. Otherwise, elbow Mac will have to work.

Now I am down to red chili in the freezer.
(3)

I have found the solution. I buy very good balsamic vinegar and then I put it in the back of my pantry. I started this 15 years ago and I replenish it so everything is at least 10 years old at this point.

It goes a very long way.
(2)

Aged Balsamic Vinegar--can be expensive...but very good!
(0)

Shell, good idea about the bread.

I buy grass fed meat, so it tends to be less marbled than grain fed. So I use aged balsamic vinegar and mustard to marinate it to make it tender. Works every time.

That is good to know that you can cook it straight from the fridge if it is marinated.
(1)

cwilly,

Have you thought about putting slices of bread on a cookie sheet to find the hottest shot on your oven broiler. Just an idea...better to burn bread then to burn real food!😯
(3)

Isthisrealyreal,

I'm sorry I was talking about a broiler that is like a grill but gets much hotter than a grill. It looks like a bbq grill but it has heavy case iron grill racks. Sorry my bad!

If you buy good meat with good marbling then your steak will be tender. However, if you buy cheap meat it will be tough! It should not matter if the steak is at room temperature or if cold as far as tenderness goes...it's about the quality of the meat!

Furthermore, If you use a marinade with a vinegar or some from of acid like lemon juice or OJ in it it will make your steak tender no matter if it is room temperature or cold!

As for a oven broiler, I use mine to finish off what ever I am baking; examples; baking bbq chicken thighs--bake thighs almost done then slap some bbq sauce on them turn on the broiler, make Garlic Toast, want my cheese to melt...you get my point. As ways use broiler on LOW no hotter than 500 degree. And you should never leave your oven door crack open. Just saying...

And one little tip if you buy cheap steaks like a Around Steak for example, which is tough, you can use a fork to tenderize your steak buy poking the steak on both sides.😳
(1)

My problem is the broiler on my gas range, I just can't seem to find the hottest spot (with an electric broiler you just stick it right under the element) and I quit trying to pan sear because I'm always setting off the smoke alarm. Another reason could be the quality of the meat I'm buying, most grocery store steaks are cut too thin but who can afford to pay $15/lb from the butcher?
(1)

I don't know, I think it might have something to do with the distance and time it takes for the heat to penetrate. Not sure, because I am afraid of the broiler so I never let things get hot enough. I was told to leave the oven door cracked to broil, but we don't live where the added heat is a welcome thing.

I will try with a cold steak and see if I get good results. Thanks for the tip.

Just curious, how tender does it end up? That is why I don't cook cold meats, the whole proteins tensing up thing. Not that it would matter since I do tenderizing marinades. Maybe?
(1)

Isthisrealyreal,

I have tried having a steak at room temperature then put it on a hot broiler to get that wonderful char, but that never works for me; but if I do a really cold steak then I get the char...I wonder why?😯
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter