Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
All this talk of salsa and now I want some chips and a tamale
(1)

Ali
When the shiracha folks opened their new plant all the local residents complained their eyes and throats were burning
(1)

I've never consider gringo or gringa to be derogatory. I never heard gringa before, but gringo I consider rather endearing. I've never heard anyone use it in an unfriendly fashion. (I'm a Texan.)
(3)

The bottled salsa verde seems very mild and authentic enough for my gringa tastes, and I appreciate learning that it's so easy to make a fresh batch. The bottled stuff has a nice, mild flavor. The sriracha is dynamite in a bottle.  I didn't use much but it's a lot of heat and flavor.

I've never had a black lentil curry, or naan... though I think pita bread at most Middle Eastern restaurants is close enough to naan? Sounds good!
(1)

Did you taste your salsa verde? If it is from a new source it may be spicier than you expected too.

I had a pouch of dal bukhara (black lentil curry) that I discovered on the Asian food aisle and some naan. It was supposed to be enough for two meals, but it was pretty good and I was hungry.
(3)

I had made a comment a couple weeks ago about how I wanted to try making my non-lettuce salads more exciting by adding some different things for dressings - salsa verde, chili garlic sauce. I couldn't find the chili garlic sauce in my local stores (wut?) but I did find the salsa verde and I've been using that.

I made a broccoli, avocado, scallion, kidney bean salad. I've made it before and I think it's very good! I used some soy sauce, parsley, garlic powder, salsa verde, rice vinegar, and a scant amount of sriracha for the dressing.

It's very yummy -- just -- seriously, take the scant amount of sriracha you think you want for the dish, then quarter it, then use about a tenth of that. Holy cow, that stuff packs a punch! My mouth is on fire but it's sooooo tasty!

It was very good, lots of flavor, very healthy and easy to make. Scant-scant-scant amount of sriracha in the future... :)-
(1)

LOL - JessieBelle, I have to agree with you. I love Cadbury Easter crème eggs. I like the mini ones the best.

For Easter we alternated between having a turkey or ham or sometimes prime rib. Sides included a salad, baked potato and sweet corn. This is my first Easter without my dad so I'm thinking of taking the family out for dinner.
(2)

Oh, that one is easy -- chocolate Easter bunnies and malted milk eggs. Who needs any other type food. :)
(3)

Would love to hear other's traditional Easter feasts, if you grew up celebrating Easter. Church handed out hot-crossed buns (separate from communion).
(2)

Ali, Tuna & Noodle casserole is my family's traditional comfort food.

We were growing up with family gatherings for every holiday. Our Mom made us do the work, like her own personal crew of sous chefs. She had no shame to ask the guests (my aunt said) to help dry the dishes. We had to help. Mom cooked up a storm, lemon merangue pies, mac n' cheese (the real kind, baked), scalloped potatoes, iced tea and lemonade, 3 salads, veges, a main dish.

Easter, it was a whole Leg of Lamb, bar-be-qued on a spit, basted all day with a mustard sauce, by my uncle. Maybe there was a ham too. Yum.
(2)

Ms.Madge, Yes, soaked the beans, afterwards, threw out all the beans in the house by that same brand supplier.
There is nothing better than Faberware pans. Grew up using them, 40 years later I still have 3 of the original set left.

Cwillie, I will never throw out anything again, Lol.
In my experiences with frugality, it saves me money to throw it all out, drive to our best burger place and spend 6-12 dollars on anything we want!

Ali, What you describe is chicken cacciatore. Or, adding rice in the same pan, it becomes paella! Be sure to let the rice brown at the edges, a little crispy. No, I don't have the recipe-it is different everytime!   It requires the biggest wrought iron pan available for the one pan method.  Taking the meat out after browning and placing on a paper plate to drain helps so it won't overcook.  Draining the oils or wiping with a paper towel removes extra grease.  Returning the meat to the pan, adding the rice, a little butter, (either cooked or 20 minute rice) , Yum.
Don't forget the veges :  Zuccini, mushrooms, carrots sliced diagonally, squash, etc. etc.

MsMadge, I would like my chili over spaghetti noodles-or any noodles!
(3)

And now I'm eating some of my favorite candy, Reese's Peanut Butter Cup minis, because I'm still sulking over being let go from job last Friday. There's a reason why we call it "comfort food," I guess. I think it's helping.  :) 
(2)

I'm not at the bean-soaking cook-expertise-level yet. I've talked about it with a couple of my former coworkers.

I bought a nice big package of chicken thighs on sale the other day for $0.69/lb. I made 2 of them today by skinning, then searing in some olive oil 5 mins on each side to start. I put a can of diced tomatoes, 2 chopped sweet onions, 3 tbs of minced garlic into the hot pan with the drippings to soften up the veggies. I put all of it into a glass pie pan and into the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. It came out well.

Looking back, I guess I could've just kept it in the skillet on the stovetop by time I did all the searing and softening. It would've been one less dish to clean. :-)

I like the extra veggies I get when I make dishes this way, with more than typical chopped veggies. It comes out more like a one-dish stew supper, as opposed to a meat preparation.
(2)

Send,

If you don't mind my asking - did you soak the beans overnight?

When I was a kid, my parents threw 4th of July parties and mom always made a big pot of chili and beans - I still remember her sorting through the beans to pick the stones out and them soaking in her largest faberware pots

If you're in a pinch and crave chili I find the one skillet recipe with lawry's seasoning mix is pretty good poured over some egg noodles

Otherwise head to Marie Calendar's and get some to go with their corn bread
(2)

You haven't met someone as cheap as I am Send, I probably would have eaten the chili and spit the beans out LOL !
(3)

Yes, Cwillie, I have done that, making a big pot of something, turns out to be nothing and must be thrown out altogether.
Cooking chili and beans from scratch, the beans were taking forever to become tender. Added the hamburger, tomatoes, onions, seasonings, and everything else! When the beans never got edible, the entire pot was thrown out, have not tried chili from scratch since.
(2)

cwillie, I've done this too. We women, I think we are fixers by nature and we try and try to make things better even food!

I'm going to have small piece of salmon and roasted baby potatoes and brussell sprouts. Need to try and eat a little more healthy.
(2)

cwillie, I did that not long ago. Decided to make egg salad, and realized it was too soupy because I accidentally added too much mayo/mustard. Boiled up more eggs, then I had a MONSTROUS batch of egg salad and zero desire to eat any of it. I made a valiant effort and did make a small dent in it before I had to give up. Won't do that again!
(2)

cw - that made me laugh. I often make big pots of food, but usually can make them palatable, though it can be a touch and go process. But then, I am not hard to please food wise.
(1)

Have you ever made a big pot of something that didn't turn out as well a you thought it would, so then you keep adding things to try to make it better and now you have an even bigger amount than before, and it still isn't very appealing?
(2)

DD & I picked up groceries yesterday and realized that we have enough food in the house now to last our small army of people about 4 months. LOL Time to start using things out of the freezer and we'll re-stock later on.

I'm rather fond of those P3 protein packs (with a small portion of meat, nuts and dried fruit), but they're expensive for what they are - small portions! They're nice if you're on the run and have to grab something to eat, and can keep you from eating something worse - but again, expensive. I decided to pick up the makings to make my own, so now I have cheese, meat and nuts prepped and ready in the fridge whenever I need a quick snack or protein pick-me-up. I cooked up a nice big turkey breast today and will portion that out to be munched on this week too.

Dinner tonight was baked fish with green beans. I cook the fish with a little white wine, butter, lemon juice and dill. YUM.
(2)

I had 1 hot dog and about 6 oranges. Grandma had broccoli soup from Olgas. She could actually eat it.
(1)

My store sometimes has a triple chocolate macadamia nut cookie, it makes me drool just thinking about it.
Tonight I had a frozen thin crust veggie pizza (with some extra tomatoes, onions and mushrooms I added), only 380 calories for half of it. Yum. But I want the other half.
(2)

The lethal Cookie:
Chocolate Chunk Toasted Walnut Cookies, huge @ 5 1/3 oz. EACH!
There are 6 cookies in the box. I want one, I want one........hmmmmm,
only half.....you want to share? ok, just half.....
hmmmm, not one to pass on chocolate, or chocolate chip cookies, looks so good!! Could not eat 1/2!
Conclusion.....if you see this toxic, lethal cookie in your nearest big box store,
choose something else. It was almost obscene. imo.
(1)

Cdnreader, I overcooked meat for many years and the way I manage to avoid that now is by cooking at low temps/flame, and check on it periodically to see how well it's cooked through. A more seasoned cook would know how long to cook and what temp would be fine. I'm going with the idea that "I can always cook it longer if need be," and for now that's getting me by with not overcooking meat. It takes longer, sometimes 2x as long to make a dish, but I'm learning and not burning lol.

Those grocery store rotisserie chickens are DELICIOUS! lol Who needs to cook?
(0)

AliboBali, thank you for the brining tips. Glad you were able to salvage the pork chops.

I am terrible at cooking meat. I tend to overcook it.

I think it will be a store bought roast chicken tonight.
(1)

NOW you tell me! lol Yes, too salty. They were in a 1/4c salt-to-3 cups water brine for 2 hours, but still too salty because I added salty seasonings, too. I rescued them by adding some plain tomato sauce, but lesson learned! I guess I could cut up in little pieces and put in a lettuce salad, too... anywhere where sardines could be used, I could use these pork chops. :-P
(1)

Something like a chop doesn't need as much time in the brine, 1/2 to 2 hours is plenty or you risk them being over salty.
(2)

Note to self (and anyone else who cares, haha):  when you brine a piece of meat, you need very little other salty or savory type seasonings.  The brined chops would've been great to bake with tomato sauce and veggies, or fruit like apples, pineapples. I prepared the brined chops like I did the not-brined I made 2 weeks ago - salt & pepper, Worcestershire, olive oil, minced garlic. It's too highly seasoned now, in my opinion. It's tender and tasty, but could use some blander things like vegetables or fruits to offset how seasoned the meat tastes. Interesting! :-)
(1)

A pork butt or shoulder roast can last a long time, in my experience. It's one of the "leftover" dishes that's nice to have around and remake into various tasty dishes/forms.

My remaining 3 pork chops are brining (is that a word?) in the frig. I'll make them this eve and enjoy over the next couple of days.

JELLYFISH! What is this! I've never seen jellyfish on a menu and I've seen a lot of menus. Is the texture like octopus? I don't care all that much for octopus, though there's nothing really wrong with it. I like squid/calamari ok, as long as it's battered & fried pieces and I have marinara to dip them in. ;-) I've never had jellyfish, didn't even know they were served as a dish in ... are you in North America, Tired Reader?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter