Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Tonight's dinner will either be pulled pork sandwiches to get rid of the leftover pork roast on pretzel buns or I will make a pot roast with loads of gravy.
(1)

Hi TiredReader,

I love jellyfish. It was a trip to the mall tonight. I don't think I will do that again. Everything seemed to be too salty. I had a chicken sandwich and curly fries from Arby's and an Orange Julius. I know I should be eating better.
(1)

I had chicken nuggets, wok fried cabbage and spicy jellyfish. :)
(1)

Wanted to bake my defrosted batch of 4 pork chops but haven't had time yet. I have one chop on the stove top now in a 5 qt sauté pan. I seared it in some olive oil, added Worcestershire, minced garlic, and a half cup of red wine ... sliced up the rest of a batch of large white button mushrooms and one vidalia onion ... have it all simmering very low for about 20 minutes now. I think it will turn out well! I'm happy to be trying some make-them-up-as-I-go dinners. So far, so good. I know there will be a flop or several, but so far, so good. :)

ETA:  just finished another 10 mins of even lower cooking flame, just wanted to soften and meld all the ingredients.  I cooked this with lid on.  I ended up with an almost stew-like dish that I put in a bowl with the chop smothered in mushrooms, onions, and sauce.  It's very good. :)  I'm proud of myself.  I have a history of never cooking and/or cooking poorly, and I'm in my 40s... so this a new thing where I have some confidence, finally, in  my ability to pull off some basic cooking methods.
(2)

I had a salad tonight. I love the "bacon & bleu" chopped salad you can get in most stores in the produce section - topped it with the bacon bits that come with it, a few olives, a few dill pickle slices (the *good* ones), a few cheese cubes, some chopped up turkey breast and some 3-cheese ranch dressing. Yum.
(3)

Broccoli salad (the kind with raisins), baked sweet potato fries and ???
Maybe I'll have some popcorn later.
(2)

I don't blame you TiredReader. I love pasta too. I think once in a while is okay.

Had a pulled pork sandwich and some French fries. I love this thread because it gives me some ideas of what to eat. I don't seem to know what to do with myself most days.
(1)

I ate some pasta. Grandma had meatball. I kinda cheated on my low carb diet.
(2)

I made a brand new salad tonight, and I really liked it. I make salads in a way similar to others make a new casserole or crock pot recipe. I love fresh foods, fresh veggies, I love trying new flavor combos.

Tonight I started by basing it off a simple "tuna salad" style, but it got interesting half way through as I was adding in fresh ingredients I had on hand. I used salmon (the kind that comes in foil pouch, or a can, mine was foil pouch which I keep in the frig by the half dozen), spoonful of sweet relish, sliced up some fresh button mushrooms, a hard boiled egg, generous amount of green onion, avocado, mixed in a spare amount of mayo just to blend it all together, small amount of soy sauce and seasoned rice vinegar. It was delicious and I'll have to make it again sometime. :-) I'm surprised it worked out so well, to be honest. Many times when I'm experimenting, it's not as tasty as tonight.

I've found a way to make "salads" that aren't lettuce and bottled dressing. I rarely put bottled dressing on any of my salads, though I do like Ranch and Western dressings... and Italian... but I like the ones I make even more. I've tweaked it over the years. I know what adds savory, salty, tangy... different kinds of vinegar, oils, herbs, and soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce are 2 of the best for adding a hint of savory flavor.

Tonight made me think to pick up some things like chili garlic sauce and salsa verde, and try a small amount of new flavors (that have been around for a long time and used widely in certain cuisines) in my salads.

Anyway. It was a surprisingly good turnout. :-)

I have pork chops defrosting that I'll make similar to last time: Worcestershire, garlic, salt & pepper... sear then low temp bake for 15 mins, higher temp bake for another 15. I don't know WHAT exactly made them so good last time, but I'll replicate the cooking temps and times and see if I can get a repeat. I'll brine for an hour first, too. My first meat brine ever. :-)
(2)

Send, I live around the area where 94 & 294 connect on the due far south side of Chicago. It's about an hour's drive to that Thai restaurant. ;-) There are some good Chicago-based pizza places around here, like Aurelios, but the Papa John's is just at the corner and I like that mediterranean pizza. It reminds me a little bit of California Pizza Kitchen style vs the deep-dish (blech) style.
(3)

Cwillie, If your new hairdo looks anything like the Llama, that is really cute!
(0)

Instead of oatmeal, I like bran cooked. I do believe one can eat too much bran, too much fiber, especially with conditions such as diverticulitis.

Drinking more water, lets all try it!
(1)

Bangkok Thai Cuisine
4.5 star rating 52 reviews
Thai
Open Hours today: 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
(1)

Ali......concerns: You are snorting wasabi almonds?
MsMadge is missing the troll?
Ali, in a city famous for pizza, you chose Papajohns?
(no, now I AM going to try it, but is it better in your town than in ny town?)
Cwillie, the cure for salad is to add bacon, or steak diane. Me and salads just don't mix -I always want to toss them.

Feeling funny now, not any idea what I will be cooking after that lunch for hubs-taco tuesday. Maybe later. You all know I am teasing, right?
(2)

I just snorted, Madge... where *is* the poop kid when you finally have a topic for them...? lol

I've been munching wasabi almonds the past 2 days to clear out my sinuses.  It didn't really work but it was yummy to try.  I ended up taking half an envelope of daytime "flu & sore throat" Theraflu and that worked pretty well to dry things up for the work hours earlier today.  

I love curry spice and Thai curries and soups.  I haven't had anything like that in years.  There's nothing around my side of Chicago that has curry, not that I know of.  I can get BBQ anything and fried fish at every corner, but no Thai food.  
(0)

LOL MsMadge.

AliBoBal- I can't wait to try that pizza from PapaJohns.

It was Thai chicken coconut soup today. It helped clear out the sinuses.:-)
(1)

10:30 pm and I'm eating Raisin Bran and a honey bran muffin - wonder if that's too much bran ? Maybe the poop kid would know - just kidding
(5)

I answered my stomach's call for PIZZA for dinner tonight. Noshing my favorite "healthy" pizza, which is Papa John's mediterranean pizza with thin crust, light cheese, extra sauce, no processed meats... It's delish and hitting the spot for my comfort-food craving right now.

CW, that salad sounds good! I suppose if you're used to eating things that are more filling, "home cooked meals," then a salad comes up short...? I eat salads all the time (now with plenty of beans, egg, or some kind of protein in all of them) and never get tired of them.

Grilled cheese on rye sounds good. I never did care for rye bread all that much, but for grilled cheese with tomato soup, seems that rye flavor would be nice addition.
(2)

I had a giant salad with an egg on top and some yogurt for dessert.
Need. Real. Food.
(4)

Two days ago, I made grilled cheese on rye with tomato soup. Can't get it out of my mind....need more.
(3)

Sounds fancy schmancy, Madge!

Since we are all on the mend here after a long-lasting respiratory and stomach virus, I think I might actually attempt cooking tonight. We've been subsisting on soups and jello here and we're all tired of it. Made a sausage braid last night and that went down pretty good, but my tastebuds must have gone dead during the illness because it tasted far too salty. Not sure what I'll make tonight...maybe just some grilled chicken breast and veggies. Simple but good for us. Thinking I'll make crustless quiche soon too, and I saw a shrimp recipe on FB that I want to try.
(2)

Ham, Brie and fig jam on a croissant and butternut squash soup
(3)

I ate some random chopped up pork parts connected to bones in a sauce. Was the work meal from my part time job. I ate it on a bucket standing. Had only 2 minutes to do so before being slammed by orders. Still less stressful than being a caregiver.
(3)

Sorry the soft goat cheese wasn't a hit. I had a French style sandwich for dinner with brie, cranberries, hot mustard and ham. I never had brie in sandwich before. It was a bit too salty for me, but something different.
(1)

There was a sale on soft goat cheese at the local supermarket. I've tried various goat cheeses when they are served on a cheese tray and never cared for it, but I thought, since it was a tiny package and a great discount, that I'd give it one more try.
Nope.
(2)

Tiredreader, I also love chorizo. I have them in my tacos. So good.

Tonight it was roast chicken and butter flak rolls. And an M and M filled cookie.

Now that you mention the chorizo, I might have to get a taco later.
(2)

cwillie, Pigs eat vegetables. You are what you eat. Hence, BBQ ribs are a vegetable. :3

I'm working on it. The true diet starts when the chorizo runs out.

Tacy, Now I got a craving for Gonellas!!! You talking about the one on oakwood yeah? The only good Gonellas. Gotta be hard roll though.

3 eggs doesn't lower my cholesterol because somehow chorizo ends up falling in the pan with them mysteriously.
(3)

Well I found a website that said it was ok for me to eat 3 eggs a day. lol
I have gotten my marching orders from the Dr. lower mine too or else meds in May.
(2)

I don't think ribs are vegan. LOL
I made a very tasty pita sandwich, and lest I get too healthy all at once I made a side of onion rings.

I looked up Maurice salad - lettuce, Swiss cheese, ham, turkey, olives, and a creamy dressing - does that sound right? I'm not sure I would call that low fat, you should have just gone with the ribs!
(1)

cwillie, if your cholesterol ok get BBQ ribs dripping in fat such delicious fat. Fat I cannot eat. *drools*

I'm eating a Maurice salad. (Any Michiganders know of it? The salad from Hudsons) Later I will eat avocado w/salt on a low fat triscuit cracker.

Grandma ate a quarter of a stuffed cabbage sans cabbage leaf and mashed potatoes.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter