Follow
Read More
I downsized the dinner we are making this year, as I am still not 100% and Mom is not either. Instead of 15 or more people.. we are having the 4 of us. G's parents ( we are bringing MIL from her NH and FIL from BILs house) and G's cousin... I am making ham, sweet potato casserole ( store bought) and limas, cauliflower and Green bean casserole.Plus doctored up fruit salad! No turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes too.. Yep,, I cooked big! BIL hinted around.. but I nixed that! Used to have them plus their 2 kids and their dates...plus two neighbors. Just can;t do it this year,, and the neighbors are going to her daughters so that helped. BIL has a new granddaughter this year,, I just said I "knew" they'd be with her...LOL
(0)

Susan, allow yourself to sit back and let DD take over. It may not be your ideal or like your mom would have done, it will be something new. And that's just fine.
(3)

Christmas dinner will be the traditional ham, augratin potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, some other veggie of some sort, dinner rolls and dessert. Not sure on the dessert at this point. Will have to check my store of frozen pumpkin puree to see if I have enough to make a pie or two, I guess.

Really not feeling in the spirit of the season, and not sure how much I can do physically towards dinner. Daughter has been doing the cookie-making this year since I'm unable to stand for long periods right now, and rolling out cookie dough or grasping with my left hand is not easy right now.
(0)

Cancelling dinner here. :P
(2)

There's an old saying BoniChak, YOU CAN PLEASE SOME PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME,
BUT YOU CAN NEVER PLEASE ALL OF THE PEOPLE, ALL OF THE TIME.
I guess We All have Our purple days?
(2)

Tortellinis, spinach and cheese, with italian sausage.
(2)

Maybe someday, I will be able to serve a dinner for all my Canadian and UK friends, at the upcoming fantasy international caregivers dinner, hosted by my U.S. friends. I do love to serve food to people, and I am not a jewish or italian mother, but have been asked if I am.
(4)

Cwillie, I did eat two brussel sprouts, knew that only dH would eat them. Serving amounts of each item were small, heated in tiny loaf pan placed on a rack in the roaster oven, side by side. Could have served 4 people, we have leftovers, after eating a plateful. It was fun, it was easy, good, and easy clean-up! See your holiday fresh boxed shelf at traderjoes. The variety was what made it so good!
It was great to NOT stress over cooking this meal! I did make a quick turkey gravy at the last minute.
(0)

Yum, except for the brussels sprouts but I could always pick those out! Are you sure you can eat that much? ;)
(0)

Enjoy your lovely meal, Send
(1)

Just the two of us....as I was preparing this, helpful dH was putting most of it back in the fridge.......lol....he just had popcorn! Now, in our Roaster Oven:

Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
Chicken Sausage and Cornbread Stuffing
Butternut Squash and Spinach Gratin
Carrot Souffle`
Roasted Brussle Sprouts with Leeks and bacon in a Balsamic Sauce

Personal Size Watermelon if room for dessert...
(2)

Funny, I thought when Mom passed away that my holidays would be less hectic. Silly me! Nearly 9:30pm and I am still running the dishwasher, washer and dryer to catch up on dishes and laundry, cleaning out totes full of stuff that I haven't had time to get to (and what I don't get to will get shoved into a spare room), cleaning off my desk, cleaning the bathroom, etc. Plus I stll have a bit of client work to get done tonight.

Apple and pumpkin pies made today, might yet throw together a couple of side dishes and put them in the fridge to be popped in the oven tomorrow a little ahead of the turkey.

I'm doing my turkey the way I did it last year, when I tried this method for the first time - it turns out SO good. When the 13-yr-old nephew (a notoriously picky eater) looks at it and proclaims, "That's like something you'd see in a restaurant!!" - you know you've done well!

Mince herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley) and blend with melted butter, white wine and a bit of lemon juice. Stir to blend ingredients thoroughly. Soak cheesecloth in the butter mixture until saturated, then drape over the turkey, pressing it close to the bird. Be sure to cover drumsticks and entire breast of the turkey. The cheesecloth will turn very dark during cooking - don't worry! - just follow your normal turkey roasting guidelines per weight of the bird. When done, remove the cheesecloth and you have a gorgeous, juicy turkey - no basting required! (You *can* baste if you want, but it turns out fine without it.) There are many recipes online for this - so if you don't like the looks of this one, just search on "turkey cheesecloth" and you'll probably find another you like better.
(0)

Thanks Pam, for that thanksgiving idea. I am so thankful that it made me laugh. Would never actually do anything like that but would love to give them 'a dressing down'. Don't worry anyone, I think that is an old-timers saying or a military phrase for telling someone off that deserves it. Going to go look that up to find out where I heard it, before I think about dinner.
(1)

I think for Thanksgiving I will save a turkey and carve up my relatives instead.
(3)

Traderjoes had some good turkey side dishes, we tried 4-5, now they are all gone before thanksgiving. Great meals for my dH because he likes veges.
Thankful all week for so much!
(1)

Very cheap, kellse, I agree. Occasionally I've seen under $8/lb for strip here. These were bone-in, but bone-in on a strip isn't much when you're talking about 16 oz steaks. I was wondering about quality but it seems actually quite fresh and decent. Are you familiar with the Kroger-owned chain called Food 4 Less? They are a discount grocer, and where I bought these. It's a "bag your own" kind of place.
(1)

Ali, that's really cheap. I think strip steak here is 10 dollars a pound
(1)

I just made a big, fat NY Strip steak. They had them on sale for $4 a pound. I've never seen that low of a price for that cut so I bought several and put in the freezer. I made the first one today - they are a roughly a pound each. I did my usual prep for steak: bring to room temp by setting it out for 20 minutes, liberal salt and pepper both sides, sear each side for 1-2 minutes in a hot skillet with olive oil, then put in the oven on 300 for about 15 minutes. I turned the oven off for last couple of minutes. It turned out beautifully, considering my lack of culinary skills. Worcestershire sauce and sautéed sweet onions all over the top of it... mmmmm... :-)
(2)

roast chicken, brocolli and baked sweet potatoes.. plus daughter came over!!
(1)

pumpkin custard ?
that sounds good .
(0)

Mmmm, bacon! I made up a big pot of chili for lunch, half to freeze and the rest to eat over the next few days. I also turned my outdoor decorations into pumpkin muffins and pumpkin custards and have 6 cups of puree in the freezer for later. A penny saved... lol!
(3)

Apparently BACON is for dinner, lol, but it is being cooked up on other forum threads.
(2)

I'm not sure if we can include links here. But if we can't you can get the ebook
by searching for "From Scratch" by Lee Ann Brown--free PDF.
It has all kind of dishes--incredible.

cookbooks.leannebrown
(0)

Really, it's so important to take the time to cook a nice dinner nd eat well, especially when you are caregiving. There is an author who was giving away a great recipe book called Eat Well on $4 a day. I'm not sure if it is still available.
But she also offers a free recipe e-book online
It has tons of quick and healthy recipes and tons of gorgeous photographs.
Enjoy!
(1)

just fresh ground sausage sandwiches for me tonight , with a slice of cheese .
saw a therapist today . i never pass up a chance to let a 35 yr old woman tell me how i should be feeling inside . she wants to try a ' non medication ' approach to helping me . i told her thery'd BE medication . ( black market )
been self medicating for near 6 decades , where the hell has she been ?
(1)

I lost five pounds in the last 6 weeks. It isn't much but feel tons healthier and people are commenting that I am looking really good. Zero wheat and white flour for me equals no more inflammation and roller coaster ups, downs, and tummy problems. Switched to following Dr. Mark Hyman's advice. Eating more protein and careful with the carbs and starches. Making sure I take exercise every day or at least every other day, even if it means turning up some rock and roll and dancing in my little apt. With the beautiful New England Fall, it's been easy to want to see the colorful leaves for those hour long walks. Zumba Gold is great for dancing and getting aerobic exercise. The teacher I found is a real dancer, so she's superb and inspiring. Zumba Gold is for seniors. Around here it's only $3 a class! If you get a T shirt with the raised letters on it, be careful the G doesn't come off!
Meanwhile my Mom is 95 and rarely misses a chance to sit in the sun and also to do some form of exercise every day! She also likes to socialize and finally has found that she need not only depend on me. That sure gives me something to dance about!

Still love Trader Joe's for food plus the small farm stands for fresh produce.
Fresh apples can't compare with those plastic macs you find in the grocery stores. No wonder why some people want to grow their own food or forget about eating vegetables altogether!
Capt'n I hope you continue on to find joy and friendship with others.
(1)

There's a chill in the air so it's time for tortellini and spinach soup--made with either chicken or vegetable broth. Quick, easy, and comforting.
(2)

Look for sausages labeled Brats or Bratwurst, they are pretty tender
(1)

Sometimes you can peel the tough casings off those sausages before you cook them, especially easy if they are partially frozen. I'd rather have them skinless than have to eat (what seems like) plastic.
(3)

NYDIL, Oh, that reminds me, I do like sauerkraut. It is on pastrami sandwiches!
Your dinner sounds like something my dH would love. We have some sausage hot links, however, the skin is tough and thick, chewy. Don't know if I will get them again.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter