Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Way,

Remember all of those Sports Illustrated swimsuit covers of the past?

Now, they are changing their image and placing women of all sizes and ages on their swimsuit cover.

It’s about time! Isn’t the average size of a woman a size 14 these days? It certainly isn’t a size 0 wearing a string bikini!

I saw where Gail King is on the cover. She’s almost 70! She was so funny in the interview.

She said that she was going to watch what she ate. They told her, “Oh no, just be yourself!” So she ate a cheeseburger the day before the photo shoot! LOL 😝
(2)

Nacy,

Some seasons are more active than others.

The gulf coast has certainly seen many hurricanes. Sometimes they are back to back in some areas.

Even tropical storms can do a lot of damage. It doesn’t even have to be a full blown hurricane.
(0)

Yeah needs I heard on the news today they are expecting a bad hurricane season, I hope they are wrong 🙏🤞
(1)

New Orleans and the surrounding metro areas has drainage issues.

A while back the city cleaned out drains. You would not believe the amount of Mardi Gras beads that were in there! 😝

Our streets flood with just a heavy downpour. It doesn’t even have to be a hurricane with massive winds and rain coming down.

Streets started flooding in areas that didn’t historically flood. So, flood insurance is a must for certain areas.

Being below sea level is not helpful either. Plus, we receive a fair amount of rainfall each year.
(1)

With the increase in wildfires the insurance companies here are being hit hard and are looking for solutions. I got a notice about a pilot project regarding monitoring properties for fire safety. It makes sense. We are now not in a forest zone, thank goodness, so I will not participate. I can see that they have to do something as they are putting out lots more $$$ than usual due to the wildfires and it's not going to get better.

way - good for you. Found a London Fog trench but only in beige or black. I may buy the black. True London Fog doesn't come in colours I think.

Love the purse colours but how do you keep track changing your purses? I keep the same black one for years., Derek Alexander - lots of places to store things,

need - genetics definitely make a difference. But two of my kids are obese and neither parent is/was. Both their father and I stayed a similar weight for years with a little gain as we got older.
(2)

Way,

My 23andme DNA testing results addresses weight. I do feel like genetics plays a role in our weight.

There are lots of factors that influences our weight. It’s an ongoing struggle for most people.

Menopause was miserable for me. Others don’t experience symptoms that are severe. We are all different.

Hormones in general control so many things.
(1)

Golden .

Buy yourself a new colorful trench coat or blazer , great idea!!!

I’ve taken to colorful purses, as I don’t have to worry about fluctuating weight !!
I’ve had a bright teal , and a light blue , they’ve since worn out .
Now I have a kelly green , and I just bought a lovely lavender for $20.

I find them all on clearance .
(3)

Need.

I was always thin until menopause .
(2)

My brother lived on a bluff , 150 -200 feet above Long Island Sound , and he didn’t live on the edge of the bluff , his house was set back and there were houses in front of his. His insurance was canceled , he had trouble getting new insurance . They said potential flooding . He was so high up , he would never have flooded. They didn’t take the elevation into consideration, just the proximity to shore .
(2)

I do think exercise combined with following a healthy diet works best for weight loss.

A guy in my neighborhood who traveled about 80 percent of the time, had a heart attack due to eating the wrong food, while he was on the road.

He ordered all the wrong food in restaurants. He didn’t exercise at all.

His doctor told him to change his diet and exercise. He started going to the grocery store when he traveled.

He bought ingredients to make healthy salads in his hotel room. He was careful about what he ordered when he went out to eat. He lost weight and is now maintaining a healthy weight.
(1)

Alva, I hate to say it, but I keep seeing places where an ‘insurance drone’ would be fully justified and in the general public’s interest. Places (all with great views) built in dead end cul-de-sacs at the top of hills, or surrounded by trees, or on the edge of a cliff that keeps eroding, or right next to a river with a flood history. They get permission to build because it increases the local government rate base, and reduces legal hassles that come if permission is refused. The claims are totally predictable, and everyone’s insurance premiums rise to pay for it. Eventually, no-one wins and no-one is happy. Insurance companies may be unusual in having the ability and an incentive to say 'no'.
(2)

Could be Margaret ,

And working longer hours at a desk job .
My son has been working ridiculous long hours . Probably stress eating too .

My husband traveled alot for work , eating out did it for him most likely.

Metabolism does start to slow down at 30 as well though. This is why people whose habits don’t change still gain weight .

My mother in law was obese since she was 30 . She dieted and exercised in her late 50’s and up and lost alot. Now she can’t keep weight on , it’s falling off , she’s frail, thin and elderly .

I’ve gained the past year , new asthma meds with a steroid . Hard to get the weight off .
(2)

Not sure about that ‘fat gene’. The guys I saw who ‘blew up’ coming up to 30 had married, given up active sport, and started to eat more.
(2)

Way,

Mom’s doctor kept saying that she wanted her to gain a few pounds.

That wasn’t going to happen though, because mom never ate an entire meal at once.

She would take a bite here and there. She didn’t have a healthy appetite.
(1)

My mother used to say “ Embrace those few extra pounds , you’ll need them if you become very ill “.
It is true in a way , I’ve known people who lost 20 or more pounds during a stint in the hospital .
(1)

My DH is on Trulicity for Type 2 diabetes since December . Has lost 25 lbs . This is the least he has weighed in about 30 years . His family has the fat gene that gets activated at about 30 years old when DH blew up . He was always a thin kid. Thin when we first married too . My son blew up at 30yo as well , too heavy now . The problem is they were so used to eating what they wanted for so long and able to stay thin . Changing the habits is hard .

Insurance has been covering it 100% .
However he recently received a letter that our mail away pharmacy for our RX plan is having trouble getting Trulicity in stock due to shortages .
(2)

Alva,

You’re right. It’s complicated. All of it, insurance issues and how meds affect us.

Mom used to say that meds will help in one area and hurt us in another area. So, there is constant monitoring of how much they affect us.

I spent a fortune when I was going through fertility treatments. Nothing was covered back then by insurance. Not sure if it is now or not. I know that they were pushing for it to be covered.

It was frustrating because someone could get a nose job covered by insurance, by saying that they had a deviated septum, but I couldn’t get coverage for a legitimate medical issues.
(2)

Need, insurance is lovely and all that, but if they start to cover 1,000s of dollar because we can't push away from the table for this, and 1,000s for dementia drugs that aren't proven and have bad side effects eventually insurance will cost so much no one will have it.

In California we are learning that insurance companies can simply throw up their arms and leave. That's what is happening with both Farmers and State Farm. Simply leaving our fire ridden state. They are now sending drones over homes and finding any little thing they can to cancel policies. Some just not renewing. We will soon find our homes uninsured, or insured at enormous cost to all.

There's never an easy answer to anything out there. Everything has "side effects".
(4)

Nacy,

I get it. Siblings have their ups and downs in life.

I got to the same point where you are. It’s not worth arguing over. It’s either going to come out in the wash or it’s not.

I was very fortunate that my brothers and I found healing in our relationship later on.

Most of the time the people who are bothering us, don’t give a crap about how we feel and they don’t waste time on caring about us.

So, why should you care about what they think? In the end, you have to do what is right for you. For some people that means calling someone out, others it means to ignore it.

I find it sad if people are hurt by others so deeply that the relationship is permanently damaged, but that happens sometimes.
(1)

Thanks needs , all my post to people about how to let go of your anger to siblings, now I get to practice what I've been preaching about letting go of anger. 😆
(2)

need - it does make it harder for them. I was on elavil for a short while many years ago and I could see the lbs going on, so I stopped it and found something that doesn't do that for me but it affects my sleep. Side effects are the pits.

nacy - It is hard. He is very bright and I am sure he does understand, but he hasn't yet decided that his health is more important than his desire to eat like that. Hopefully after he has tried everything else, he will work on his eating habits, but I am not holding my breath. He is 55 so he's not that young. It all went on after he and g'f stopped smoking about 10 years ago, They both gained weight. Before that he was always skinny.

((((hugs))) to you for this hard week. Treat yourself to something!
(2)

Nacy,

Sorry that you are having a rough time. It’s never easy being a caregiver.
(2)

Golden,

I watched Super Size Me documentary a long time ago. It was a great documentary about how junk food negatively affects our health.

Morgan was only 53. He died from cancer. Wasn’t his girlfriend either vegetarian or vegan? I remember her saying in the documentary that she didn’t want him to eat McDonald’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

My coworker said that she was very depressed and anxious when she was going through her breast cancer treatments.

She was placed on meds and gained weight which made her feel more depressed.

I felt badly for her because she said that as long as she was taking the meds that she didn’t think she would lose any weight.
(2)

I will say this week has been one crisis after another, and this is the first really bad week since I joined AC , and got my head outta burnout. I am handling it better this time, with less anxiety and less worry.
(3)

Speaking of such things Morgan Spurlock, of 'Super Size Me' fame died yesterday. I really appreciated his message.

need - as far as I know most antid's cause weight gain in most people who take them. My dd is an exception, fortunately. At the end of her life, mother went up sizes when she was medicated for depression and dementia. I had to buy new sets of clothing for her. I'm not sure that dieting helps a lot with that. It's a bit of a catch 22 - get depressed, take antid's, gain weight, get depressed...

On another subject, some of my clothing took a bit of a beating during the move - two rain coats, in fact missing a button each. I'm past sewing on buttons, but R might do it for me, One coat was mother's and one is a lovely London Fog gaberdine belted trench coat I have had for over 40 years so it doesn't owe me anything, but still looks good, That fabric never looses its pizzazz. Maybe it's time for a new one and in a bright colour!!!
(2)

Golden oh that's hard to stand by and watch a loved one that is eating all the wrong stuff.
He is younger and will hopefully change. My dad diabetic, lived on white bread, pasta, and potatoes, couldn't get them to understand for nothing why they should cut way back on that stuff.

My oldest is in the hospital with kidney stones, it's not a surprise, runs in the family from his dad's side
He will be fine.

Funny though, my first instinct is to not tell mom, my sister's instinct would be call mom and tell them he might be getting a kidney removed. I just don't understand why she does that!
(1)

Golden,

Some people are on meds that interfere with a person losing weight.

I think it’s sad that a person will go on meds for their mental health and it causes weight gain, so they have to deal with that too.

A woman that I worked with told me that when she was going through cancer she started taking meds to help her cope.

She started gaining weight and her doctor told her that weight gain was common with the drug that she was taking.
(2)

Stress eating - the story of my life. I know where it came from -very little comfort of any kind in my early home life, but good food was always available. Fortunately I like healthy food so, despite some consumption of chips, ice cream etc I always ate lots of healthy food. I do it less now and the choice I make are healthier. That has been my solution - find healthier alternatives. Not a big sweet eater. Haven't had a chip or a spoonful of ice cream since I can remember. I have found an excellent dairy free yogurt. I love roasted and fresh veggies, do low carb some of the time. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs. My body doesn't let go of energy stores easily - never has, even when I was young and very active. Working on it slowly adjusting my choices. At my age I don't need many calories but my appetite is still as good as ever.🙄 It doesn't seem fair.

Huskies are awesome dogs, and definitely very stubborn and independent, but they do it with a smile.🐕

Alva - you mentioned Ozempic. Oldest son, who is diabetic, is on that. It hasn't helped him so far and he hasn't changed his eating habits - reuben sandwiches and fries are not a good choice for a diabetic - mainly bread and potatoes. He is trying everything except changing his eating habits. I said it a few times but not any more, Both he and his g/f are obese and suffering the consequences and it will only get worse as they age, but mother (me) has to keep her trap shut unless asked. It's not always easy when you hear the litany of woes that are due entirely to bad eating habits.
(2)

Alva,

The cost is amazing. Right now there is Ozempic, Wegovy and Mounjaro.

I have seen some people experience side effects, while others don’t. Drugs affect everyone differently.

My primary care doctor’s nurse has lost 50 pounds since she started taking Ozempic. She says that she feels better after losing weight and is not having side effects.

I barely recognized her when she walked into the room and I said, ‘You lost a lot of weight!’ She shared her story with me.

I hope insurance companies will start paying for these drugs and give people who are struggling with obesity a chance to lose weight.
(1)

Ozempic has been taken, now, by 1 in 8 of us according the this week's The Week. One half of the people quit because of costs or because of some pretty gruesome side effects. The others are still taking it.

Given the cost of it I find this utterly shocking.
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter