Follow

Replacing the much lamented 'On My Mind' profile option, this thread is for musings, jottings, whimsies, preoccupations and the rest of the thesaurus for anyone to jot down anything they please.

I can't remember what the maximum character count was before, can anyone else? But anyway it wasn't very many so let's keep to that.

1 2 3 4 5
Golden,

Yes it's the noise! Constant banging and clanging,and beeping, and vibrating. It feels like Chinese water torcher. They should be farther down the road next week.

Blickbob,
I'm sure it's hard, you grandma was just ready. And it sounds like she lived a health good life, you sound like your handling things as well as to be expected.
(1)

So I got the death certificate for my grandmother.

She died of congestive heart failure.

On a few occasions, she felt chest pain and was taken to the hospital to be examined and each time, nothing was found. The local hospital isn't always on its A-game, but it doesn't matter now. We've said goodbye and she's resting easy now.
(0)

golden: Yes, I have. If I gain two pounds, my PCP is ecstatic. Never going to gain large amounts.
(2)

Nacy,

I have been to renaissance festivals. They are so much fun!

Imagine living during medieval times!
(1)

Needs,

Awww, I'm glad you got some pictures of your mom when she was younger

Even ten years ago we dressed nicer at times.

We went to a Renaissance fair a few years ago. Was so much fun!!!!
They had stores where you could rent an outfit, a winch outfit was less expensive than the rich Renaissance.. I would of loved to dress up, but it was a warm day. We walked around watching shows all day, eating giant turkey legs. Watched jousting.
(2)

Nacy,

It is fun to get dressed up sometimes. Mom lost her photos in hurricane Katrina.

Some of my cousins were kind enough to send me pictures that they had taken of my mom in her younger days.

Mom was stunning! She dressed beautifully. My father was very handsome and dressed well too.

When I look at photos of my parents in their youth and compare photos of how casually we dress now, we look like slobs! 😝

But hey, we are comfortable and styles and trends change throughout the years.

Can you imagine if we lived during the Victorian era? 😆 hahaha, how long did it take those women to get dressed in the morning? We can be dressed in a few minutes!

I have to say that my mom was never overly strict with how I dressed when I hit my teenage years.

Mom appreciated nice clothes but she didn’t nag me about hanging out in jeans and a tee shirt most of the time.

My mother was very stylish until she died. Even in her end of life hospice care home she wore pretty night gowns.

The aides were lovely with her and would say, “I know that you like to look nice. Let’s put on one of your pretty gowns.”

Their kindness meant so much to mom and to us.
(2)

Yeah , no one dresses up anymore. I have mixed emotions about that. I miss dressing up some days. I get up in the morning, somedays and say I feel like dressing up today, I get all dolled up , then im board change my close to go work in the yard.

So I really miss getting glammed up, but I also feel like I'm a lot more physical and in better shape if I don't.
(1)

cw,

You are correct about the dress being more casual these days in church, everywhere else too.

People dressed up in our parents’ day, and not just for church. We dressed up as kids.

On special occasions, during the holidays or attending a wedding and so on, we always wore a fancy new dress. New purse and shoes too!

I remember my parents dressing up to visit friends, shopping, going out to a restaurant, a movie, etc.

Clothing has gone up in price so much. Nowadays, casual blouses can cost as much as $100 and up.
(1)

cw,

That’s right!

Our church had fans in the back of church for people to pick up before the service started.

Everyone dressed up. We wore our Sunday best!

Hats, gloves, of course, stockings for ladies to wear with their dresses. Bare legs wouldn’t have been acceptable. Men wore suits, always with a tie.
(1)

Oh I had forgotten about the paper fans, we had specially made ones with bible scenes! And when I was very young all the ladies wore gloves and hats to church too, and I can't remember any man ever taking off his suit coat. Today the elders serve communion wearing shorts lol.
(2)

Golden,

Our kids don’t know how good they have had it.

When I was younger, no air conditioning in schools or church. I remember seeing people pass out in church. Those paper fans didn’t cool us off too much!

I don’t know how the nuns at my school didn’t pass out while teaching us. They wore those full habits back then.

We didn’t have air conditioning in our house until I was a teenager.
(2)

llama - have you lost more weight? I seem to remember that you weighed more that 115 lb last year

need - summers in Ontario when I was a child were very hot and humid, but it never hit 100. It didn't cool down at night either. No one had AC in those days.

nacy - I remember one summer like that in Fort Mc about 15 years ago They were digging up the sewers in front of the house then started digging them up behind the house. The noise bothered me more than anything else. It was awful. You couldn't get away from it.
(3)

The road construction at my house is really starting to annoy me.

The hardest part is we live on a corner lot. One drive way on the side of the house and one in the front.

So first for a month on the side yard . Now it's the front. Trackers, trucks, banging and clanging fro 7 am till about 5pm, almost every day , for 2 months. When there not working there equipment is parked all up and down my road. Never knowing if are water is getting shut off . Having to plan my showers, laundry, all that.

And the worst is the dust! So much dust, I finally gave up trying to keep up with it. Just letting it collect until they are down the road father.

I just really needed to get that off my chest. I know they have to do what they have to do but...... I want it over. Lol
(3)

ITRR and Nacy: Thank you.
(2)

Needs, that was a shock, we got up around 3 am to get ready for the airport, and walked out of the hotel and the heat just hit me , like opening the oven door

When we went to the WW2 museum, saw some conspiracy workers working on a roof. I don't know how they do that
(2)

Ana.

It is stifling, zaps my energy. It’s very difficult to be outside when it is so hot. It doesn’t cool down at night either. The sun goes down but the humidity doesn’t.
(2)

I'm trying to never complain about the heat again 😂 , because us northeners don't really know heat. I actually handled it better than I expected but, WOW
(1)

Oh Anna, I was in New Orleans, 2 weeks ago. It's nothing I've ever experienced before.
(1)

Geez Need, feeling 100F and it’s not even summer! How does anyone work outdoors?!? I’d wilt very quickly.
(2)

We don't have ducks , we have hot water base and a boiler system. That's the issue. Id love to have central air
(0)

If you are in the northeast you probably already have a duct system for your heating so I can't see any advantage of going with a ductless system. Many people here are going with heat pumps as an addition to their furnace system (although they are called heat pumps they are also air conditioners in the summer)
(1)

Isthisreal, we have heard and discussed the duckless unit. But haven't looked much father. It's definitely time the window conditioners are getting to heavy and annoying and loud, gives me a headache.

Also I'm thinking that the north east is heating up, summers are either getting hotter or the heat is bothering me more. Probably a bit of both
(0)

Well that's awesome to hear llama, I was just watching the news the pictures of tornadoes are so scary to even think about. I'm glad you are safe!
(1)

Llamalover, Praise The Lord!
(1)

Our area was under a tornado watch. The atmosphere provided no rotation, though.
(1)

Isthisreal, I will definitely, thanks!
(0)

Nacy, you should check into ductless mini-split systems.

Best air-conditioner/heater I have ever used. Not to mention they are super energy efficient.
(1)

We might get some rain. I hope we do to drop the temperatures down a bit.
(1)

I can imagine, now what that feels like, lol.

Been hot for the north east too. Got some storms coming in and it's cooling off nice!

We can't get central air because of are heat system, has no duck work. Really getting annoying putting the window AC in every year
(1)

This heat is horrible! Our heat index is over 100 degrees. The humidity is awful. We have been under a heat advisory. And it’s only May! August is brutal here!
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter