Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Way,

You married a sweetheart!

Many years ago, back in the days when cars had hubcaps, two of my hubcaps went flying off of my mini van. I was going shopping for my young daughters.

This young man saw it and ran across three lanes to retrieve them.

This guy looked like a gazelle running out in traffic for my hubcaps! I was in awe of him.

It was pouring down raining and he took the time to put them back on.

When he finished, I took money out of my purse and told him, ‘Thanks so much. Please buy a nice dinner for yourself.’

He said, “Honey, your smile is all of the thanks that I need. My wife is out shopping. She left cold cuts for me to make a sandwich.” He was a sweetheart like your husband!
(2)

Need,

Love the flat tire story, so funny !!

When my hubs was in his last year of college he was able to stack all his classes on Mon, Wed , Fridays. He worked as a bank teller Tues, Thurs, Saturdays .

One day hubs came in late to work , dirty and wet from changing an old man’s tire in the rain . Hubs had recognized the old man as a customer who came to the bank every Friday wearing a suit ( even though he was retired ) and he would talk to the bank manager .

The bank manager yelled at DH for being late , would not let hubs explain just sent him to the drive up window .

Alittle while later the old man came in and told the bank manager how the new young male teller helped him. After that the bank manager was thrilled . Apparently the old man was filthy rich with alot of money in that bank .

Another time DH was late getting back from his lunch break , he stopped to change a pregnant woman’s tire . The bank manager told him he should keep an extra change of clothes in his car if he’s going to keep doing this . The woman was also a customer at the bank and she would come to my hubs drive up window every week . The woman’s husband and his family owned multiple kitchen appliance/ TV stores on our island . The woman’s husband came into the bank and gave my hubs our first VCR free for changing his wife’s flat !!
(6)

Send,

I hope that you feel better soon.
(1)

One more thing 😂, even if the scientist did say fibromyalgia was psychological.
It's still pain and it's still physical, the brain is part of the body. So how are mental issues not physical.

That always annoys me. Even dementia effects everything, smell , balance, bladder control, that's physical not just mental health
(2)

Nacy,

It is nice to see.

I have to say that when I was younger, I was like everyone else who was always in a huge hurry, busy with my own life.

After seeing my mom decline, I started slowing down and opening doors for older people and allowing them to enter before I did.

One time, an old man said to me, “Thank you so much. Those doors are so heavy for me to open. God bless you for opening it up for me.” I smiled and said, ‘God bless you too.’

I hate to admit it, but when I was younger I was a very fast walker and didn’t notice everything around me. I walked right past slow people.
(3)

The fibromyalgia thing is real. Even I have doubted myself.

This may not be true for everyone with fibromyalgia, but the very painful areas that hurt so very much if even touched-or it's just there hurting if you don't touch it--
If you can endure a touch of massage or the pain of pressure for a moment, the pain gets better after that without pain meds. It doesn't make sense, but we can work thru the pain. It may not always work when everything hurts at once.
And helping one area still leaves the whole body pain.

Yeah, sometimes "just don't touch me" is all you can do.

I am going to go take some liquid Tumeric now for the pain.
(3)

That's funny needs.

Yesterday in my town I saw an older man walking with a cane, that I've never seen before. He looked like he was having a hard time, but he didn't look lost, I was just going to follow him and maybe strike up a conversation and someone else pulled up to him asked him if he was ok. I just watched from the distance and he lived around the corner, she took him home. It's so nice to see people do good deeds in this world!!
(2)

Golden I'm so glad progress is being made too. I know my sister's is real.
When her kids where young I would watch her, and she would constantly tell them to stop touching her because it hurt. A touch from your child never hurts a mother unless it's real.

My brother is deep into a religion that I don't agree with. That's a long story too. His son was suffering badly with anorexia. He wouldn't believe me. I told my brother, ok thanks giving day, when you walk in to moms, he is going to be sick. And if what I say is true and he instantly gets sick he has an eating disorder! Well guess what, he got sick and they had to leave. But my brother still wouldn't believe me.

So I did so private investigating and found out his moms husband works at a car garage in a town, in Vermont, called all the garages until I found him. Was just about to call asp when she called me back. They where very greatfull and took him in, and got him help. He is doing ok now. He was 21 and there was little I could do.

And my brother thought prayers would cure him

Anyways after all that stress I thought I had fibromyalgia. I hurt all over and slept for a few days on and off.
(2)

Went out to lunch today with my brother.

As we were walking towards the restaurant, my brother saw a young woman sitting in her car talking on the cell phone.

He noticed that her front left tire was flat. So, he motioned for her to roll down the window to tell her.

She looks over at him and says. “I have a boyfriend.” He tried again a couple of times. Each time she made a face and said, “I have a boyfriend.”

He told her one more time about the tire, a bit louder, while he pointed at her tire. Suddenly she says, “Oh my gosh, I have a flat! Will you help me change it, please?”

He told her, “Have your boyfriend change it!”

He said to me, “I would have gladly helped her if she wouldn’t have been such a jerk to me when I was only trying to alert her about her flat.”
(4)

nacy - sorry about your mum.but glad you have accepted it

I wanted to comment on what your bro said about Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia viz "It's all in your head."

When I first had it ,I wondered too. Then one day the escalator in Zellers wasn't working and I had to walk up it to get to the second floor. By the time I (who had walked for miles and miles regularly) did, my legs were like jelly and I was totally convinced it was real.

30 years ago many thought that it was psychological - both professional medical people, psychologists and others. I suspect my oldest son still thinks I can overcome this by mental exercises. I was diagnosed by a doctor who realized what it was and used the guidelines of the time. More and more research has shown many deficits and pathologies in those suffering from it. It's gratifying to me to see the progress that research is making.

Now all we need is a cure or at least better treatment. I would like to see that in my lifetime.
(2)

Nacy,

It certainly is difficult to see how rapidly a person can decline. She is fortunate to have you in her life to help her.
(1)

Took mom out this morning, to are local nursery and then for ice cream.
Are trips out are just about done, she is getting to frail. The ground at the nursery was just to bumpy for her. I feel like I should be sadder about it but I think I delt with it all, knowing this day was coming all winter.
(3)

I don't know how my husband does it. Never seen a 72 year old work so hard. He just loves to work. In the winter he gets so excited about snow storms because he gets to shovel. He has a snowblower that he has used a total of 4 times, in like ten years. He goes out there as happy as a pig in mud and shovels then goes to his farm and shovels.
It was a rough winter for us because hardly no snow to keep him happy.

Now he is happily digging holes, filling in where the pool was, smashing concrete. Gets up this morning happy as a larc. And I'm a tiny bit annoyed because I hurt all over, doing my spring work. I will say we keep each other healthy and moving.

I worry about him, but it's what makes him happy.

Needs, that actually sounds like a fun job. I think the hardest part would be dealing with some of the clients

Way, that's awesome your daughter is doing that, it's good to know there are still people out there that are down to earth, you must be very proud!
(1)

Way,

I hear you. It’s not for everyone.

This gal thrives on pressure and absolutely loves her job. She’s perfectly suited for the job. She says it’s a lot of fun but also a ton of work.

She’s very self motivated and gets the job done. She’s really smart with money. She has a business degree and has used it to her advantage.

Even though her clients can afford to splurge on things, she works hard to get them a fair price.

She is wonderful at planning any kind of event.

She’s an incredible hostess at her own parties. They are top notch, not only because she thinks of everything, but because she is very well connected to others who provide the best of the best services.

She has a magnetic type of personality that people are drawn to.

She has impeccable taste and she will search high and low for her clients for the perfect venue and all that goes along with it to make it a truly special occasion.

I know what you mean though, I am sure that there are days when she wants to tear her hair out!

She tells me that she has a blast spending other people’s money, and of course, she is paid very well for it, which makes the job much easier!

I am shocked at the amount of money spent on weddings these days and how busy she stays. When she gets time off, she takes fabulous vacations to unwind.
(1)

Need.

I wouldn’t want to be a wedding planner , all that drama . I’d probably lose it and say “ It’s one freaking day , get over it , the marriage is the work , the wedding is the party and should be layed back and fun !!! “ Lol

Don’t even get me started on pricey bachelor and bachelorette parties . And bridal showers for those who already have a home full of stuff. My daughter wants neither . She said she’ll just hang out with her bridesmaids the night before and watch a movie on TV after the rehearsal dinner . She also is paying for the bridesmaids dresses , hair and makeup .
(2)

Way,

My friend’s daughter has told me that she rarely has issues with the bride and groom. She does run into problems with parents of the couple.

She is very good at her job. She has to be to pull off these extremely posh weddings. When there is a problem she finds a solution.

She has had to act as a mediator for the bride because brides become tired of telling the parents that they are not going to follow their advice.

The couples are going to do things their own way, as they should.

Parents should not try to take over the bride and groom’s day. I don’t blame anyone who says, ‘Just forget the whole damn wedding. Let’s elope!’ 😝
(2)

My daughter has actually said to me , “ I want the marriage not the wedding “, but that won’t fly on the fiancés side . She doesn’t want the stress of planning it .

Since they will have one anyway she’d like to limit it to parents , siblings ( and spouse , or SO ) and close friends , and any few relatives particularly close to .

The fiancé says his mother will expect all the aunts , uncles, cousins , second cousins , great nieces and nephews etc to be invited . And there are a lot of them.
(3)

My friend’s daughter is a wedding planner. She makes a good living. Her clients love her!

She only handles high end weddings, costing a million dollars and up. Some of her clients spend a fortune just on the dress!

You would not believe the amount of planning that goes into these types of weddings. She works really hard for her clients.

Every year she flies to New York to see the latest trends in bridal gowns.

She knows all of the best places for local weddings and destination weddings.

She is up to date on everything because her clients expect her to be.

Only the very wealthy people can afford weddings that expensive. No one should go into debt for their wedding!
(2)

It's ridiculous, I always say people should be thinking more of the marriage than the wedding.

I just don't understand it at all.

If that's what they want and there dream that's fine but they shouldn't expect others to spend there life's fortune for it.

People are spending the amount of money on the just the shower that I would spend on a wedding
(4)

The bride and groom going away on a special holiday used to be what the honeymoon was for, lots of people do have small, low key weddings. Those stupid bridal shows have to be clever marketing advertisements because they seem to have convinced a whole generation of people that extreme extravagance is required - It's insane to me that anyone would fork over the equivalent of a down payment on a home for the ring, the dress, the venue.
(4)

Weddings are so expensive . It’s ridiculous . They price gouge food, drink , flowers etc .

My husband has a coworker that went to Hawaii , just him and his bride , they married and honeymooned there .

When they came back they had a big backyard party for alot less money , because they also had just bought a house . They told the guests not to give gifts.

I thought this was great , however I would like to attend my children’s weddings if possible .

My friend got married and honeymooned in Hawaii nearly 40 years ago . Just her groom’s parents were present . They spent a few days together on one island then the two couples went their seperate ways to continue their respective honeymoon/ vacations. The bride’s father had cancer at the time . She felt it was too much to plan a wedding and all . Her Dad died a few months later .
(1)

My mom used to say "keep your wedding small; as many people as you invite, THAT'S how many people will be offended that they weren't invited."
(4)

That sounds awesome way! Great way to make memories 🙂‍↕️
(1)

My hubby and I are planning a destination , birthday , retirement , anniversary party all rolled into one in a few years. Just us and our kids along with their spouses and any kids if there are any by then . Hubby and I are going to host and rent a beach house on the East Coast . The kids are on board . We will all decide a location together that is not terribly far to drive to . Not sure exactly where yet !!
(3)

I worked with someone (mid 30s) who had a ‘destination wedding’ in Hawaii, which is a lot further away from Adelaide than for USA people. They didn’t expect anyone to come, in fact didn’t invite anyone. It was just a holiday that was extra special for them. They said that they could afford the holiday or a 'trimmings' wedding, but not both. I'm fine with that.

Pre-Covid, there were package weddings in Adelaide for couples from Japan. They had 'all the trimmings' (including a horse-drawn arrival, wedding in a rose garden, and lots of photos), but no guests!
(4)

Need,

We learned never to tell my MIL anything until after the fact !

Golden , two beds . Lol

cwillie, some of the worst wedding drama stories I have heard are due to caving in and inviting certain people .
I’m all for secret small weddings.
(2)

cwillie is also correct that it can cause hard feelings .
my kids limit it to the 48 continental states for weddings . It’s less complicated for all than going to another country .
My daughter’s and her finance’s friends and family are spread out too but most are in the eastern part of the country . So they are choosing somewhere on the east coast . But again, most people have to travel no matter where it is .

My son basically asked the whole wedding party first if they were ok with Vegas when they had to replan the whole wedding . It was small . Just parents , siblings and some friends , a couple of cousins. When he booked it they still had limits for numbers of people allowed in a venue due to Covid .

We have all hoped to not get an invitation to some weddings because it’s too far , you won’t know anyone else , whatever . You breathe a sigh of relief when you don’t get invited .
Well , my sister in-law ( who we never saw even when we lived 10 minutes away ) was annoyed she didn’t get to decline an invitation , even though she admitted she would never go !!

You can’t please everyone .
(1)

Yeah if I felt obligated to go to anyone's destination wedding , I wouldn't go.

No matter who they are. 😂
(2)

Alva,

In my son’s case , just about everyone who is important to him and willing to come to his wedding were going to have travel no matter where it was . My son has lived in 4 states . His friends have also moved around since college for employment . His friends and the few family members he is close with are spread out across the country . He also requested no gifts. Their presence if they should choose was more than enough . No pressure , no obligations . The people who wanted to come came and made a vacation out of it . I think weddings are changing . People understand if someone can not spend the money to travel . As well as people are beginning to understand that you don’t need to invite people you never see or hear from just because you share a fraction of DNA .

It was a very nice low key intimate wedding at a nice resort . Attendees were given a discount , it was when we were emerging from Covid in the Fall of 2021. The resort was hungry for business . It ended up very reasonable . The guests were happy to see each other again.
This all came about because Covid killed their original plans in 2020.
(5)

😂🥰
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter