Follow

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/flip-phone-sales-surging-folks-090114553.html
Title: "Flip phone sales are surging as folks seek connection without distraction;" USA Today article; 6/18/2024
From the article: "Another example is trying to park. You now need a smart phone even for street parking (meter's removed). Most parking garages now only accept the smart phone scan for entry. I recently had to walk 5 blocks from destination in order to find an old fashioned parking garage that accepted credit cards, or cash, or smart phones. This is discriminatory against disabled persons who may not be able to physically use a smart phone but can use a flip phone."

Comments on the article show that some (?many) seniors uncomfortable with handling smartphones are much happier with an old fashioned flip phone. The parking bit above really hit home: I live near a large metropolis but for various reasons, haven't driven myself there, hence no need for parking. A couple of weeks ago a friend drove me to an appointment there and there was NO parking available --like the article says -- without a smartphone. My friend could do it with her phone, but although I've been carrying a smart phone since shortly after they came out (older models), I don't think I could have managed this on my own.

PS: Not sure if "Product" is right category for this. Didn't see anything tech-related in the subject headings.

Flip phones don't:

- give your location to your LOs if you get lost
- show you a map with directions so you can get back home
- voice-to-text for easier written communication
- allow you to FaceTime your grandkids
- give you a flashlight, a calculator, an alarm clock, the weather, etc
- allow you to remotely perform all sorts of convenient financial tasks
- etc etc etc

Distractions? Smart phones are literally the best invention ever (or is it the back-up camera in my car...)

This is the last generation of seniors who will be "uncomfortable" with technology. My 95-yr old Mom often expresses regret over not keeping up with it, but once smartphones (and towers and laptops and tablets) came on the scene, if you didn't use it every day and/or had someone present to help teach you (in the days before YouTube) then adoption wasn't going to happen easily, or at all.
(0)

I can’t imagine going back to a flip phone. Some people may like the simplicity of them.
(1)

I learn how to scan, it's not that hard, but do it so little that I keep forgetting. Then I go to YouTube and type I how to scan with a blah blah phone.

They make it really easy
(0)

JoAnn: I haven't been able to figure out how to scan either and I have an Iphone 7. I'm not sure if all models (androids or i phones) can do this. Sometimes librarians can help. Good luck.
(0)

I heard that younger people are talking flip phones to parties and bars, so they have a phone with them and don't care all there information with them to bars, on their nights out.

Don't know how wildly used that is but it's a really good idea, actually
(1)

My DH would be lost. He has no cellphone. Me, I have an android but have not figured out how to scan yet.
(1)

I personally don't believe my flip phone was any easier than my smart phone, and using it to text would be a nightmare for anybody who can't even navigate a touch screen. People worried about the distraction of having the internet in their pockets can opt for a plan with no data.
As for the assumption that everyone has the ability to download parking apps etc and scan QR codes to access deals or menus or whatever - yeah, that does tick me off, those things should be available in addition to a real live person, no instead of.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter