Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Trying, what NHWM said! sorry double post ^
(1)

Tryingmybest, I second what NHWM said!!
(2)

Hugging my friends and patients.
(3)

Shane,

Dr. Fauci just said on the Today Show that maybe we should never go back to shaking hands. Interesting, huh?

Never in my life would I have thought that I would have been sewing masks to give away for Easter gifts this year.

Not my usual Easter gifts. I usually give bouquets of beautiful spring blossoms. I always had a bouquet of flowers on my kitchen table with spring blooms. Not this year.

I can’t get out to buy pretty bouquets. I don’t dare do any big gardening right now with pollen and trigger an allergy attack. The last place I want to be is at an ER clinic or the hospital for allergies or my asthma flaring up.
(3)

If we should never go back to shaking hands then I guess hugs and kisses are definitely out too, maybe we should all just live in individual plastic bubbles and create robots to run the world. I think that kind of talk is unrealistic and in a way dangerous - when you make things too impossible then people are more apt to just say screw it all and not bother with anything.
(2)

Cwille,

It does seem extreme. I don’t know what to think at this point. Yes, we need to flatten the curve. Yes, no contact means doing that but I agree with you, how do we maintain living this way forever, let a robot take over? It’s disturbing to be sure.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, robots have been taking over for years, or rather the companies that own them have.  And AI is advancing much faster than many of us probably realize.

I've posted this before although I think on a different forum.    There are 2 PBS specials, one specifically on AI (I'll look for a citation later) and another on networks, throughout history and now, and how the network leaders are advancing their own interests through use of AI and all the information people VOLUNTEER through social media.    

As to the CV pandemic, from what I've read, there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed, on both macro and micro levels, but 2 that are critical:   the "wet market" practices in China, and more research on pandemics, BEFORE the crisis occurs.

In 2007 3 Asian authors addressed exactly what we're seeing now.    Whether or not this could have been prevented is speculative, but research could and should have been done, and preparation could have been much better, especially here in the US.

I'm not even going to get into the political aspect though.
(2)

GA,

Yes, agree about the robots. I was merely being sarcastic. You know, it feels like we are becoming so detached in a ‘human’ way. I had made a comment earlier that Dr. Fauci said maybe we shouldn’t shake hands in the future.

I do follow the AI stuff. It’s fascinating.

This situation is a mystery in certain ways. Who knows what could have been prevented?
(1)

Wasn't this or something like it inevitable? Look at how many new viruses have emerged in the last few decades, and don't forget about increasing antibiotic resistance giving rise to superbugs. Then of course there is the whole problem with the declining health of the planet. I have not been ignorant of the realities but chose to deliberately close my eyes to all of it because to look at it straight on is much too terrifying.
(3)

CWillie, of course, you're right.  It was inevitable.    And inexcusable.
(0)

NHWM, good thought about Etsy. I know of it. I just tend to be more of a direct hands on or gloved hands on shopper these days. Nothing open other than possibly Whole Foods to find a gift. I also am never sure about my PayPal account but I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion
(1)

River,

Me too. I prefer to pick out items in person too. I wish that you could shop like normal. Won’t be for awhile now. I suppose you have to do Etsy or maybe Amazon.

Whole foods might be an idea. Do they do gift cards? I shop Whole Foods but have not noticed if they do gift cards. Walmart does gift cards. They can always buy diapers with a Walmart gift card!
(0)

Trying,

Please share your best treasure that you found at a thrift shop or garage sale. I love Antiques Road Show. So cool when someone finds something in a thrift shop for $1.00 and it ends up being worth thousands of dollars!

When I was young single and broke my roommate and I would find jeans in the thrift shop for 50 cents! T-shirts were a quarter. Oh, our kitchen was very eclectic, not a damn thing matched, LOL but we coordinated things with a cool vibe. Plates, dishes, cups were sold for 25 or 50cents. I didn’t know how to cook then. I made salad, boiled eggs, stuff that was very easy and cheap! My roommate and I would split a can of tuna and crackers.

Okay, wait. This is my best one, Trying. I cycled everywhere, walked or took public transportation. My boss sold his old car to me for $50! It was a here to there car. Hahaha 😂 but I drove that car for a long time! Not a bad 50 bucks, huh? It was the ugliest old clunker that you ever saw! A station wagon!

Youth, huh? Have to ask, what was the shortest job that you ever had?

Mine was as a teen, I worked at a fast food place for four days! 😂 I couldn’t finish the first week out. I absolutely hated it!

I remember thinking that I was awful for quitting like that. It was the only time I ever did that. I always gave notice and was a very hard worker as a kid for summer jobs but I just couldn’t do that job.

Once I heard Ellen DeGeneres say that she quit a job after only four hours! She was a teenager and took a job mowing lawns and her friends drove by and she got embarrassed and quit! Hahaha That’s worse than me. At least I lasted four days.
(1)

I miss feeling that my husband's sisters have any sense of responsibility to their 92 year old mother. We have been the only ones bringing her food and making sure she is safe in her home, getting her a face mask. My rude SIL had the nerve to post items on FB deriding the seriousness of exposure to the elderly. Now she is leaving town for 2 weeks without any concern for how her mother will have food, etc. or who will take her to the doctor if anything non-COVID 19 were to happen. I'm 69 myself and have 2 risk factors.
(4)

Janice,

I am sorry that you have to carry the weight all by yourself. That is rough. Stay safe and well.
(2)

Saturday morning coffee shop, really the only time I go out like that. The friends at the shop.

What I do not miss is the hustle, bustle, so many that have to be doing something all the time. Never a chance to even catch their breath, slow down and smell the roses, notice that the landscape is coming alive and greening up.

These shelter in place orders have positive sides to them too. People now have the opportunity to really slow down and appreciate the things and relationships that have always been there, they just never realized or took the time in their busy live to enjoy what they do have.
(4)

I miss being able to take food to friends. However, I do have more time to clean. Nah! That sounds awful. Think reading books is good. What I really miss is having our rural food bank unstaffed and no food. You can't meet together to fundraise either. They distributed last time having a drive through. It is hard to find food in our area so I hope others are sharing with all. I love being creative to figure how to make things when you're missing ingredient(s).
(3)

LN.

Yeah, know what you mean about the food bank. I had been volunteering once a week but stopped to adhere to the ‘stay at home’ regulations, plus I am at higher risks because I have asthma and am over 60.

Glad,

I totally agree. It’s a time to reflect. We do rush around, busy with stuff and this is forcing us to slow down.
(2)

Walking.
Nature.
Being spontaneous.
(7)

Being outdoors with friends, at the Bridge table with same, and am missing my weekly visit to the Mexican restaurant. I am doing some neighborhood walks by myself and stay on the opposite sides of the street.
Earlier today I made a Mexican hot chocolate. Yes, it has some chili pepper mixed in. I have not been able to find corn tortillas, and half the time no cheese since all this started. The Mexican restaurant is on my post-Corona itinerary.
(4)

My life hasn't changed as I'm mostly home taking care of my Mom and a little bit of my Aunt (Mom's sister). Since my 28 year old cousin moved in 6 months ago and is working at a grocery store I drive him to work and pick him up. Nice to go for that 4 mile drive and get out.

The only thing that bothers me is not having access to buying toilet paper (have enough for the next 4 weeks) and when I get lucky and see some I buy it.

Jenna
(3)

NHWM-Thats a tough question. Just about everything I own is second hand! I once found an authentic Chanel cashmere cardigan for $2.99. I got a vintage leather couch for $25. My cast iron pots and skillets are old ones, and they were already well seasoned when I got them. On occasion I have picked up good jewelry for a song. A lady I work for was having her kitchen re-done and gave us her old Corian counter tops which we retro fitted for our kitchen. What a difference they made. I could go on and on but these stand out to me.
(1)

Glad - The slowing down part is a definite silver lining. I am so not a type A person. I hate feeling rushed and I don't do well in crowds or even groups. I love people but I find interacting to be overwhelming at times.
(4)

Trying,

I got a tall oval wood swivel framed mirror for $25, a solid wood desk for $25 and a beautiful solid wood vanity for $25. So, for $75 I did really well too!

Yeah, of course I had to refinish. They came out really pretty. I placed all three pieces in my youngest daughter’s room.

Not long ago, I went in a fancy resale boutique where someone had refinished the same pieces that I found years ago at my local thrift shop and they were selling them for a fortune!

Wow, never found anything as nice as your sweater! My friend did. She found Louis Vuitton pants for only $8.00! My cousin found a beautiful ring that appraised for quite a bit more than she paid.

Jenna, I should go for a drive just for a change of scenery. I have not been out in several weeks!

Houseplant, Mexican hot chocolate is yummy!
(1)

Trying,

Those old cast iron pots are fabulous.

Ever go to an ‘entire town’ garage sale? My friend that thrift shops quite a bit and I do that sometimes.

There is a small town that is north of New Orleans called, Abita Springs. They are known for a few things in our area, their water, their beer and their ‘entire town’ garage sale!

The whole town participates in one big sale. It’s fantastic. I have found some really cool, unique items.
(2)

NHWM - Oh yes I love town wide yard sales!
(1)

I'm sure you will understand, right now I would love a massage, hair appointment and a pedicure.
I wish I could take my mom for a pedicure since she really enjoys that.
And, wait for it. I miss shopping at homestores for little things to decorate the house and shopping at favorite thrift stores.
I miss hugging my granddaughter.
I miss meeting friends at restaurants, I miss church and Sunday brunch afterwards.
I'll miss family at Easter dinner tomorrow, but I'm determined to prepare one and take it to the staff of a nursing home near me.
(3)

Bigsis,

Yes, so many things to miss. Certainly all of the things you mentioned. Hopefully, we will be able to enjoy what we did before in the not too distant future.

I suppose it depends on lots of things. Everything is different for now. Our safety must come first. We all know that. We still miss having some of what we had before.

Oddly, some things do not bother me at all. I don’t know if I am getting used to it or what.

I think it is bringing some people closer together. Others are stressed about having too much togetherness.
(1)

Just want to say thanks to all of you for sharing these moments with me. It’s been interesting getting to know all of you in a different way.

I wish our lives were as it were before but I appreciate receiving these fantastic responses to my posting. It helps me to feel less alone and more connected to all of you.

Like all of you, I am missing my kids, extended family members, friends, neighbors and my community during these times.

I hope all of you will have a very blessed Easter tomorrow. I will be watching the Mass on television tomorrow. St. Louis Cathedral will celebrate a Mass for us to view on television and online. Many churches will have services online or television.

Wishing our Jewish brothers and sisters a wonderful Passover.

Blessings to each and every single one of you. Stay safe. 🐇

I hope the bunny brings all of you the best chocolate bunny ever this year! I put in my request for a solid dark chocolate one! Yummy!
(1)

The thing i miss most is my morning getaways. I used to get up early before my mother and drive to nearest Starbucks, have a venti dark roast and read a few passages of the Bible, meditate and pray for wisdom and healing and protection of my loved ones. Now i make my coffee at home and still do my normal routine. Just getting ot for 45 minutes in the early morning and fresh air used to set the pace of the day. I know it sounds crazy but i really do miss a little me time especially in the morning!
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter