Follow

I'm reading on here that people are asking what they should be paid to take care of their aging or ill parents.
Am I NUTS to think that it's our responsibility to take care of our parents and family?
I more than gladly took care of my Mom when she was sick and dying, my Brother when he was sick and my husband when he was sick and dying. I hated that I had to, but I did it because I loved them all. My brother is fine. But now I no longer have my Mom and my Husband.
I would gladly do it all over. I wouldn't ask for a red cent to care for any of them or anyone else I care about.
It's supposed to be my Christian duty. But that's just my belief...
I guess im just crazy. ?? ..
But is that the way it's done now? We are supposed to charge our family to care for them???
If so.. what has this world come to?

Find Care & Housing
Florida, not everyone can afford to forsake their work by caring for a loved one without pay.

Quite frankly, I find your post judgmental and unkind to those in situations that you can not fathom.

Getting paid or not has nothing to do with love or Christian duty.
(9)

We are to HONOR our parents if you are a believer. Not to take care of them as tho they are our children. They are not. Whether by accident or on purpose people choose or choose not to have children. They are OBLIGATED to those children until they reach the age of majority. Then that obligation stops. They are not obligated to pay it backwards or they would NEVER get out from under obligation.
Your obligation is to your children. Their obligation is to THEIR children, NOT TO YOU.

Parents are obligated, after their children are raised, to raise funds to care for themselves as they age. Not to burden the most free time of their own children's lives with their care.

As to Christian duty, it seems each Christian makes up the rules according to his own church's interpretation. As I am a non believer I am obligated not by any idea of a god dispensing rules, so I guess I am out on that one. I believer we have a moral obligation to our children TO BE SURE. And to ourselves to make the best life we can, and to give support we choose to give to those we choose to give it to.

You have made your choices. I honor your right to make your own choices. I am thrilled to hear you were happy in the choices you made and are comforted that you made them. You do not, however, make choices for the rest of the world. You certainly can hold opinions about it, and we appreciate hearing them.

Best out to you.
Don't make me repeat the father eagle carrying his eaglets across the raging waters story. All here are thoroughly bored with it, ha ha.
(3)

I helped with both of my parents, gladly and out of love. For my mother, her care needs were overwhelmingly complex and I’d defy anyone to be able to do it all in a home setting. She lived in a nursing home but that didn’t mean our family wasn’t involved in caregiving. Our visits and advocacy for her certainly made a positive difference in her care. With my dad I helped him in his home to the end. I took him to endless doctor appointments, grocery runs, medicine pickups, etc. helped around his house, whatever I could. This had to fit my schedule, not his, as I was also raising four teens and working part time. I wasn’t paid to help him. Caregiving has to work for the caregiver, family or not. A family caregiver giving up needed income, all friends and social life, and deciding there’s honor in becoming some kind of martyr to the cause isn’t healthy for anyone involved. There are endless variables in what our elders may need and ways to accomplish them. What works for someone isn’t always wrong, just different
(4)

Yes, you most certainly are crazy.

Who was paying your bills while you were doing all that? Not everyone has an endless amount of free money rolling in like you evidently did. People have to work and be paid to support (and insure) themselves.

Take that silver spoon out of your mouth and observe the real world sometime.
(8)

Welcome, Florida!

I think the problem here is the unconditional "should".

Should an adult child give up their livelihood, or their marriage, or raising their minor children in order to provide hand's on care for their parents?

What about mentally ill, abusive or abandoning parents?

If the parents has funds to replace the child's wage-earning ability, where is the problem with paying them for care?

We posters are from all over the world, with differing economic means and personal situations.

I could never have cared for my mom myself. I could not afford to give up paid work; I live in a tiny apartment; my mom and I were like oil and water most of the time. Fortunately, mom had the funds to private pay for various levels of care, including nursing home care for 4 1/2 years after a stroke.

I also did not have the medical training to detect when mom was suffering from UTIs, CHF symptoms or depression. She got far better care in the NH than she would have had at my incompetent hands.
(7)

Yes everyone has a right to there opion, I'm not disagreeing with that. And I'm glad you were able to do what you did. I'm not judging you or your opinion at all.

It's others judging my opinion that is wrong, when they don't know my story or others stories.

And some people are just not made to be caregivers , that the way they where born , that is just the way life is. Society forcing someone to be a caregiver, that is just not a caregiver type of person, is a recipe for disaster, aging abuse, suicide, you name it

As far as Duty, I do nothing out of duty, I do what I do out of love, if my husband said it is my duty, to cook his meals, that will be the last meal I cook, untill he changes his perspective.

And another thing is people are living a lot longer, for a lot longer unhealthy than they ever use to.
(1)

Just to add, my duty is to take care of myself, so that my children can raise there family, enjoy there lives. I will never take that away from my children.
(3)

Alvadear honestly I don't think I heard that story 😞
(0)

I think that Florida won't have any problems with "judgement" since her post to us is quite judgemental.
(3)

Apparently you haven't read the posts where the duty bound adult child cared for the parent, at her own expense, and was left homeless, penniless and half dead after the parent passed away?

When you decide to face reality that a bag of groceries that used to cost $20 now cost $65, and a gas and electric bill is now $300 a month, perhaps then you'll understand why unpaid caregivers need money to survive.

What the world has come to is that nobody can afford to live anymore. Unless you are super wealthy, which you must be for even posting such a question in the first place.
(1)

Why isn't it parents' Christian duty to make sure that they have provided for their own eldercare so that their adult children and grandchildren don't lose their jobs, their savings, their friendships, their retirement years, their schooling, their homes, and the joy in their lives because they are EXPECTED to provide years and years of debilitating care for their parents who didn't plan?

Verily unto WHOM did anyone say what about that?
(4)

Very often people can not afford to quit their jobs to take care of a parent for free .

Caregiving is a job , if someone quits their previous job to take care of a parent , they should be paid by the parent if possible . There are also some programs where they can be paid , varies by state .
But often that does not totally replace the lost income of the caregiver quitting their previous job .

The caregiver needs to have money to support themselves currently , as well as save for their own retirement .

I only worked part time and took care of my parents for over a decade . My parents refused to pay for or have strangers come in their home . I regret it . It severely reduced my income and retirement savings . I should have asked my parents to pay me what they weren’t willing to have a stranger come to the house and do for them . Why should my finances have suffered when they could afford to pay?

Yes , this is how it is these days . It’s not the 1950’s where one salary could support a household including a spouse , elders and potentially minors still at home .
(4)

FloridaTentLady, welcome to the forum.

I remember an article written in Forbes, decade ago, saying that if one gives up their paying job for caregiving, that over the years that person would lose $250,000 to $350,000 in earnings. Earnings included not only salary, but lost of social security and medicare deductions...

lost of health insurance paid by the company... lost of matched 401(k) made by the company.... lost vacation pay... lost sick day pay... lost of company sponsored life insurance... lost of paid education, etc.

I realize not all businesses offer this, mainly large corporations. And it is usually the woman, who had broken through glass ceilings, who is called into caregiving. And once the caregiving is oven, that person cannot find new employment due to physical and mental exhaustion of caregiving.

FloridaTentLady, I don't know how you did all that caregiving on your own. I wasn't hand-ons with my parents, just logistical because I wasn't caregiver material. And even that was unbelievable stressful.
(2)

Yes, I believe you are a bit "crazy" for believing that a child should care for their parents.
I am Christian as well and NOWHERE in the Bible does it say that children must take on the care of their parents as they age. It does say to "honor your father and mother, so that it will go well with you" but honoring and caring for are 2 totally different things.
And it honestly doesn't say that it's our "Christian duty" either to take on the care of anyone we care about. That is a personal choice we make, and unless someone has walked in our shoes they have no right to judge what we do or don't do.
Now I do however have an issue when a spouse wants to be paid to take care of their spouse, as most of us when taking our vows said in sickness and health till death do us part, so to me that is a given that one will take care of the other out of love and not financial gain.
I took care of my late husband for 24 1/2 years of our 26 year marriage and the thought never crossed my mind that I needed to be paid for doing my wifely duties. That to me is absurd.
But on the flip side of that are the adult children that for whatever reason think they need to give up their good paying jobs to move in and care for their aging parent, and now find themselves without money and struggling to survive.
These children are not married to their parents, and no commitments/vows were made like the in sickness and in health, till death do us part, so often because of their ignorance of not thinking the whole situation through before giving up their jobs and lives, they do seek to be paid in some way to perhaps be able to put gas in their car and buy a few groceries.
And if that is the case then I really can't fault them for wanting to be paid, as that is the least a parent can do if a child has given up their life for them.
Which as a parent and grandparent I must say that I would NEVER, as in NEVER want my children or grandchildren taking on my care unless it's just a few days perhaps after a surgery. Otherwise I have told both of my children that they will never do for me what I had to do for my late husband, and yes I have that in writing.
Our children deserve to have their own lives without the stress of caregiving. And since you yourself have been a caregiver for several family members now, you already know that it is the hardest job there is, hands down.
I don't wish that on the ones I love the very most.
It is a personal choice for each of us to make as we take this journey of life, but like I said already, unless you have walked in someone else's shoes, you have absolutely no right to judge.
(3)

In the classic movie Guess Who's Coming to Dinner there is a scene where the father of Sidney Poitier's character berates him and tells him how much he and his wife had sacrificed for him, this was the reply
"Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you were supposed to do because you brought me into this world, and from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me, like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules."
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter