Follow

To know more about Vitamin B12 deficiency. If anyone knows more about it? Or experience with it

Find Care & Housing
Anxietynacy, after I had major surgery I was feeling so very tired for weeks on end. A blood test showed I had low B12. I first started out with weekly B12 shots which made a world of difference. Then later would take just take a B12 pill daily. Still do. And I am a meat and potato type of gal, so it wasn't diet related.

I remember my Mom had low B12, and back when her primary doctor would give her shots that helped her. That was before vitamin pills made their way onto grocery shelves.

Also, I have low D vitamin as I am rarely outside like I was when I was much younger. The sun now is just too hot to worship anymore. So I need to take vitamin D pills.
(2)

After my husband's stroke in 2020, he was Very weak physically and he progressed extremely slowly with physical therapy. In addition to his other meds, our PCP recommended Vitamin B12 (she recommended EZ Melts B12 2500 mcg once a day with breakfast). Within a couple of days the B12 made a remarkable difference with DH's energy level and strength. His physical therapists kept saying "WOW, this is amazing!" during his first session after he started the B12. Since then he's been taking the B12 daily and it makes a big difference. BTW, DH is not a vegetarian.

So I would recommend trying it. You can get the EZ melts on Amazon. They're pretty cool, the pill melts on the tongue and tastes good.
(0)

Dr Michael Greger uses science backed data to share info on his podcast and in his books. He promotes a vegan diet. The only supplement he recommends is B12. Pretty much a necessity.

“Vitamin B12 is not made by plants or animals but by microbes that blanket the earth. In today’s sanitized, modern world, the water supply is commonly chlorinated to kill off any bacteria. So, while we don’t get much B12 in the water anymore, we don’t get much cholera, either, which is a good thing!”

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/vitamin-b12/

Make sure you get the right one.

“For adults under age 65, the easiest way to get B12 is to take at least one 2,000 mcg supplement each week or a daily dose of 50 mcg. Note that these doses are specific to cyanocobalamin, the preferred supplemental form of vitamin B12, as there is insufficient evidence to support the efficacy of the other forms, like methylcobalamin.
As we age, our ability to absorb vitamin B12 may decline. For those over 65, the supplementation should probably be increased up to 1,000 mcg of cyanocobalamin each day.”
(1)

Thanks oncehated, that's really good info.

Yeah my son is Vegan, started vegetarian, then graduated to vegan. Id say he does do really well with his diet, and always brings his food with him where ever he goes. Because often there isn't much that he can eat. I always make a large vegetable platter, and send what's left with him.

But this raw vegan diet is so much worse than vegan in general, I've heard it's pretty much people covering up an eating disorder or leads to eating disorder. Which is what I think happened to my nephew.

I told my brother one Thanksgiving, if when you walk into to moms at Thanksgiving and your son gets sick instantly, then it's time for you to accept it's an eating disorder.

What I expected to happen, is exactly what happened, but my brother still wouldn't get him help. So I got a bit evil.

But after 2 years at his mom's and helping he still hasn't fully recovered
(0)

My former DIL developed a b12 issue in her 20's after being a vegetarian since childhood. Somehow her body lost the ability to retain B12. She wasn't the " best" of vegetarians, she didn't work on a balanced diet.
(1)

Yeah I've been learning, my mom and sisters had to have B12 shots. Kind of wondering if my nephews long term issues, of being raw vegan, could be his long term issues.

Coordinated, low energy

He went to rehab for a month in Boston then physical therapy. But the family is still insisting that there is more issues than his eating issues
(0)

Low B12 can cause problems. When I worked for the VNA we had clients who came in for B12 shots.
(1)

B12 mainly comes from animal products. Vegetarians are more likely to have a B12 deficiency and should take a B12 suppliment.
(2)

Thanks Alva, sence I'm the one that almost got my brother arrested for neglect of my nephew, I stay out of it , 😂. He lives with his mom now, sence I put an end to , praying for him and made them get help.

He is better, but really never fully recovered, but I do know he is getting better care.

It just dawned on me that it could be because he was lacking B12.

Also mom had to get B12 shots years ago. It is nothing I know anything about, so figured I'd learn more about it all.

On a personal level.
(0)

I would say that it's a good question, Nacy. But docs can do blood work that would indicate if this is vitamin deficiency or a real illness. B12 deficiency is said to be "rare" and to be a genetic problem. I have not found it all that rare, in all truth.
(0)

I did, just wondering because of my nephew, he was a raw vegan eater, I suspect more eating disorder, his family insist there is more going on , but Im wondering if it could be long term effects, of lack of B12 .

I new I can Google it, I was looking for more personal experiences🤗
(0)

True B12 insufficiency is easily googled, Nacy, and that's likely your best and most complete explanation. This isn't a simple deficit from not eating enough veggies. This is a body unable to process needed nutritional intake. Clevelandclinic.org has about the best quickie for learning all about Vit B 12 Deficiency. Just type that in their search bar. It's a disorder of red blood cells.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter